11.

Joel Dawson

"i survived 7 days on the surface, and if i can do that, literally anyone can" i explained while cap told stories.
"7 days on the surface? im impressed"
"so maybe we still have a chance. to fight and- and you know, win uh- win our.. win our world back"
"i have a plan and if you have a better one mate im- im all ears and i will stand by your side"
"you wanna- you wanna hear my plan? its uh- just uh- i got nothing"
"hey thats on me. i didnt mean to put you on the spot mate. aimee tells me you make a mean minestrone and your great on a radio. and lord knows i need a coms expert, someone who can teach rocko how to cook"
"do you guys have a radio i could use? i wanna contact my colony"

~

"7045 this is 3022 come in. 7045 this is 3022 anybody there? tim? ava? anyone? over?"
"cap thought you might need a snack" an older man said while handing me beer and berries.
"oh"
"you know he brews his own beer"
"yeah. yeah i heard"
"its good man"
"cool. thank you"

i pulled out my map and turned it over to see tons of notes from my colony. i leaned back as i read them, my eyes welling with tears. i guess i never really knew how much i needed them till now.

"hello? is someone there?"
"hey! yeah yeah! yeah ray is that you?! its me! its joel!"
"joel?! oh my god! hey guys! its joel! he made it its joel!"
"hey! hey guys! its me! its joel im- im safe! i made it! im at aimees colony!"
"wow you made it! joel! oh my god your alive?!"
"its so good to hear you guys's voices"
"so good to hear you too buddy"
"are you okay?!"
"its been so long! i've got so much to tell you!"
"tell us what you see!"
"i saw a queen sandgobbler"
"whats a queen sandgobbler?"
"its- i dont know but i blew it up! i blew it up with a hand grenade! can you believe that?!"
"you blew it up with a grenade?!"
"yes! yeah it was so awesome! and what else? i met these 2 really cool survivors! and they taught me all these really cool things and they live on the surface and- oh oh! i met a girl! her names rayven and she has a dog! i met a mav1s too! a real life mavis!"
"no way! what was she like?"
"she was very informative emotionally and- rayven lets me call her dog ours. its uh- its great. everything okay back there?"
"no not really. i dont think we can stay here much longer-"
"guys? ray? hey guys? hello? can you hear me?"

i leaned back while examining the map again.

~

as i woke up, my wrist was tied to a board along with aimee.

"good morning. joel, sorry about the fist to your face. couldnt have you talking shit about me, dont wanna mess this up. dana will take care of it" cap said.
"dana dont! not the radio tower!" aimee called out.
"sorry. you've probably figured out were not taking you on a cruise. my crew and i wanna thank you for your generous donations. food, water, supplies, medicine, we greatly appreciate it. it will see us through to the next hopess colony down the coast"
"hes a food stealer!"
"your right. but its not that simple"