Chapter 2

Zuko hasn't really talked to me much since we've been riding on the ostrich horse. He seems to be more of the strong silent type, but I don't know him very well. He did seem talkative when he approached me though, maybe he's only like this when he's upset. The only thing he told me when I asked where we were going, was that he needed to find the Avatar before his sister did. I don't know what the story is to that, but I figured I'd find out eventually. Our pace slowed as we approached a river.

"Do you want to find a place to rest for the night or do you want to keep going?" Zuko asked.

"We can find a place to stop. I'm sure the ostrich horse would appreciate some rest."

Zuko nodded, and we followed the river for a few minutes before we found a side stream that led to a covered grass area with a waterfall and a pond next to it.

"This looks like a good spot," I piped up from behind him. During the ride, he had grabbed my arms from behind and wrapped them around his torso, to keep me steady. I had almost fallen off a few times, and he didn't want to have to worry about me.

"Alright," he stopped the ostrich horse and I unwrapped my arms, releasing him. He got off, then held a hand up for me to grab, and helped me down; again, with ease.

When I got off, I lost my balance a bit, and Zuko grabbed me with both arms to steady me. I could feel now why he had no trouble lifting me. We both blushed as he let go of me.

"So, uh, does this guy have a name?" I asked, walking the ostrich horse over to a nearby tree and tying the reins to a branch.

Zuko had walked a little ways away to scout out the area, but stopped for a minute, "No, I never really thought of giving him one."

I thought for a second, "Well, what about Chu?" I took my bag off of my shoulder and put it down on the ground.

"That's an Earth kingdom name."

"Yeah, so?" I questioned, rubbing my shoulder, and trying to stretch out my back.

"I'm from the fire nation. What if we do Cho?"

I stopped a looked at him, "Uhhhhhh, isn't that... basically the same thing?"

He turned to look at me, "No, they are two different names."

"Only by one letter," I laughed. "Where did you get him?"

He paused, "An Earth kingdom village."

I raised my eyebrows at him, "Well, then shouldn't we give him an Earth kingdom name if you got him in the Earth kingdom?"

He opened his mouth like he was going to say something and then closed it again. He turned away and said, "I'm going to go collect some wood for a fire." As he was walking away, he turned back to glance at me, with a small smile on his face.

I smiled and laughed to myself, "Chu it is then." I said to the ostrich horse and pet the side of his head.

I sat down on the ground and opened my bag, taking out the blanket that I packed. I wonder if Zuko has a blanket, I didn't see any bag or belongings with him besides what he was wearing. Sometimes it got cold at night, depending on the season and where you were. It was currently warm, but it had started to cool off since we found the river. It's possible that the river makes the air colder. I walked over to the river and stuck my hand in it, then quickly pulled it back. Definitely too cold to bathe.

"What is it? Is something wrong?" Zuko asked, making me jump.

I turned around to see him holding an arm full of wood. He dropped it in the middle of the clearing and walked over to me.