Chapter 19

We spent the rest of the day moving our stuff and Zuko into the new apartment. We had let him sleep for a while longer and then woke him up to leave. If we had tried to carry him there, we would have gotten weird looks. He ended up falling asleep on the carriage ride there.

"Zuko," I said softly so that only he could hear it, placing a hand on his shoulder.

He groaned and opened his eyes, squinting at the light.

"We are at our new apartment, my nephew. We need to get inside," Iroh called, already grabbing his stuff from the back.

Zuko looked at me and then nodded, and I helped him out and into the new apartment.

"Wow, this place is nice," I said, bringing him through the kitchen area that was much bigger, and down a hallway that led to two rooms. I opened the door to one of them, to see an actual bed in the corner of the room and a table on the opposite side.

I placed Zuko down on the bed and brought my blanket out of my bag, placing it on top of him. I was about to walk out, when Zuko grabbed my hand before I could.

I turned to him with a gentle face and knelt down beside him.

"I just wanted to say," he swallowed, his voice hoarse, "I care about you too, and I'm glad you have put up with me for this long."

I smiled warmly, hiding a blush. "It's been worth it." I rubbed his hand with my thumb and then he let go, settling back down. I walked out of the room and closed the door quietly.

A while later it was getting dark, and I had been helping Iroh plan out his new tea shop. He was very excited, and couldn't wait to get started.

"We should get some rest, we have a long day of set up tomorrow," I smiled at him, standing up from the table in the kitchen.

Iroh nodded in agreement, and after saying good night I walked down the hallway to Zuko and I's room. Zuko stirred when I walked in, and in the low light I could see his eyes flutter open.

"How are you feeling?" I asked him, sitting next to him on the bed.

He shrugged his shoulders in response, but then said, "That song you were singing earlier, can you finish it for me?"

I swallowed and felt my face heat up. I didn't know he was listening to me sing.

I hesitated, but then agreed. Zuko shifted so that I had a space on the bed, but he was still facing me.

He closed his eyes, so I stood up and started to take off my dress. I couldn't help but end the song, it was so beautiful, and it made me reminiscent of when I was younger.

            I sighed, looking at him. He seemed so calm now, if only he would be like this all the time. I turned off the lamp and laid down next to him under the blanket.

*          *          *

            "Iroh? Can I talk to you about something?" I asked him the next morning.

"Of course Mara, what is it?"

I swallowed, fidgeting with the cup of tea that Iroh had set out for me. I was sitting at the table and he was cooking something in the kitchen not too far away. "Well, a while ago, you said that times were changing, and that I shouldn't think that I wouldn't have a place with Zuko when he becomes firelord. Did you mean that?" I asked, not sure how to approach the question.

He turned to me with a questioning look.

I rambled on before he could say anything, "I mean like, we don't know when Zuko will be able to return to the fire nation, but when we were talking about it before, you seemed to think that there was a chance that..." I trailed off and sighed. I guess I actually didn't know what I was trying to ask.