Chapter 13

"Mara, Zuko, wake up, we're almost there!" I heard Iroh faintly call.

Sunlight flooded through the window across from me, bringing me out of my sleep. I suddenly became aware of my surroundings, and quickly realized that my head was resting on someone's shoulder. I slowly opened my eyes, and from the angle of my head, my gaze fell on the lap of the person next to me, which I realized was Zuko. The next thing that I realized, was that my head was extra heavy; was Zuko resting his head on mine? Zuko stirred and I got my answer. We both yawned and sat up, I glanced over at him, and saw that he also realized the position we had been sleeping in. We both blushed and looked at the ground. Zuko rubbed the back of his neck. I turned to look out the window and saw houses and shops and streets for as far as I could see in either direction.

"Beautiful, isn't it?" Iroh spoke up from the other side of me. I looked at him, and he smiled. I smiled back, and then looked at Zuko. He saw my smile, and his face softened.

I realized looking at him now, that his hair had grown more, and would reach his forehead soon. The train came to a halt, and we got off. People were collecting in groups, and we joined one. A woman with a large smile on her face greeted our group, and we set off into the city. She told us that we were going to be living in the lower ring for now since we were new to the city. She talked about the different places that we could go within the ring, and then one by one she showed people to their assigned place. On the way through the city, Iroh stopped by a shop and came out with a vase full of orange flowers.

Zuko gave him a weird look, but I smiled.

"I just want our new place to look nice in case someone brings home a lady friend," Iroh responded to Zuko's look, giving him a nudge.

I slowed, a twinge settled in my heart. Does Iroh not think that we have something between us? Does he not see it, or did Zuko tell him that he doesn't think of me that way? I frowned and then caught up with them.

"This city is a prison," Zuko grumbled, glancing at me. "I don't want to make a life here."

Noted.

"Life happens wherever you are, whether you make it or not," Iroh pointed out.

"I agree, even if you are traveling every day and not staying in one spot for too long, that is a form of life in itself," I offered. I glanced at Zuko, and met his eyes. He had been looking at me too.

"Come on, I found us some new jobs, and we start this afternoon." Iroh sounded excited.

"Really?" I asked, how did he manage to do that in the short amount of time we have been here for? "Where?"

"You'll see," he winked at me.

I rolled my eyes, and laughed lightly. Zuko let out a breath, telling me that he was annoyed. I smiled at this. We finally came up on the place that was assigned to us, a small place, reminiscent of the upstairs rooms I grew up in with Rahin and his wife. I could tell Zuko was not happy with it, he had a look on his face.

We went inside and closed the door behind us. Zuko sighed, looking frustrated.

I chuckled, "What's the matter your highness? Not up to your standards?" I teased.

He turned to look at me, and I had trouble reading his expression.

"I think it's very cozy and quaint," Iroh said from the corner.

"It reminds me of my home back in my village. Rahin and I lived above the shop, and it looked very similar to this," I said, not breaking eye contact with Zuko.

Zuko looked away, I could see a hint of guilt on his face. Did he forget where I am from?

Iroh set his flowers down on a small table, and we decided to look around. There were only two bedrooms, and two beds to sleep on. Well, at least Zuko and I are used to sleeping next to each other. We let Iroh have his own room, and put our stuff in the other room.