Chapter 16

The next morning, Iroh decided he wanted to accompany me to the market for a while. Zuko stayed at our place, while Iroh and I left.

Going to the different places, Iroh was getting some interesting stuff. A picnic basket, a pipa, and a few other random things. We ended up passing by a clothing shop with dresses out the front, and Iroh noticed me looking.

"Would you like to try one? I haven't seen you in anything but the one you are wearing."

I looked down, embarrassed. "This is the only dress I was able to bring from my village."

Iroh smiled at me and took my hand, "Let's get you a new one then."

I smiled back at him and let him lead me to the shop. Iroh went around grabbing some dresses, and gave them to me to try. The woman who was working in the shop, who I assumed was the owner, was very nice, and let me try them on. After some charming from Iroh, that is. The first dress was too long, I kept tripping over it. The second dress had long flowy sleeves that would get in my way, so I decided against that one. The third dress was too short, I didn't even let Iroh see that one on me. But the last dress, I liked that one. It was a beautiful dark green color, with lighter green accents. The sleeves were tight, and stopped just above my elbows. The bottom of the dress went just below my knees, with two slits going up either side, coming to my mid-thigh. The v-neck style of the dress showed my collar bones, and made Zuko's necklace stand out. I really liked the fit of it, it was form fitting, but not constricting.

I walked out from behind the curtain, and Iroh smiled, "Do you like that one? How does it feel?"

"I love it," I smiled to him and the lady.

Iroh grinned and paid the lady, and after thanking her for her help, we left.

"I bet Zuko will like that dress," Iroh nudged me as we walked down the street back to our place.

"There's only one way to find out," I smiled nervously at him. I hope Zuko likes it, he has only seen me in the one that was now in my hands.

We walked through the front door, to see Zuko sitting cross-legged on the floor, breathing deeply. I smiled at the sight of him, my stomach fluttered.

He opened his eyes and looked at us, "Hey, you got a new dress," he stood and came over to me.

"Yes I did, do you like it?" I asked him, fidgeting with it.

"It looks great on you," he smiled at me.

I blushed and smiled, "Thank you, Zuko."

"I was just about to leave for the tea shop, are you coming?" he asked us.

"Yes, I need to bring some ingredients from the market over there," I responded, looking to Iroh.

"I will join you guys later, I have some other business to attend to."

Zuko and I looked at each other, confused. Before we could say anything, Iroh was gone.

When we got to the tea shop, the customers were happy to see us, as well as Pao. I gave him the stuff from the market that he wanted me to get, and we started working on the area for the new plants. After a while, Pao realized that he forgot to get something from the market, and pleaded for me to go out and get it.

"It's a bit late, are you sure they are still open?" I asked him, wiping my hands on a rag.

"Oh yes, they stay open quite late," he nodded enthusiastically.

I chuckled, "Alright, alright, I'll go."

"Oh yes! You are wonderful Mara!" he jumped for joy.