Chapter 7

When I woke up the next morning, Zuko was gone. I got up and went to check on Iroh, his breathing was steady, and he seemed to be quietly snoring. I smiled at this, and then went out to see where Zuko was. He was very distant last night, which I understand. He's worried about his uncle; I would be too if I was in his position. I saw him a ways away training, so I went back inside. I didn't want to disturb him.

*          *          *

            Zuko and I heard Iroh stir, and both looked over at him.

"He seems like he'll be waking up soon," I offered. Zuko had come back a little while ago, but still seemed distant.

"Maybe. I should make some tea for him so that he can have it when he wakes up."

I smiled gently, "Good idea Zuko."

I watched him rebuild the fire and get some stuff out of Iroh's bag for the tea. I wasn't sure if Zuko was making it right, but I didn't want to say anything.

A few moments after the tea was done, we heard his uncle groan.

"Uncle," Zuko said.

His eyes fluttered open and slowly began to focus on him.

"You were unconscious. Azula did this to you," Zuko started. Iroh started to sit up and groaned. "It was a surprise attack."

"Somehow that's not so surprising," Iroh responded.

I went over to him and helped him sit up against the wall behind him, and then sat on the side between him and Zuko.

"I hope I made it the way you like it," Zuko poured a cup of tea for his uncle and handed the steaming cup to him.

He brought the cup up to his lips and took a sip. I watched him try to hide his reaction to the tea, hiding a smile.

"Good," he drank the rest in his cup and tried to hide a gag. I stifled a giggle and glanced over at Zuko, who was focused on the tea and didn't notice his uncle's reaction. "That was very, um, bracing."

Iroh glanced over at me, with a curious look in his eye. Does he not remember the introduction we had? It is possible. He handed his cup back to Zuko, who filled it up again. Once Zuko wasn't looking, Iroh tossed the liquid from his cup behind him, out a large cut out of the wall he was up against. I giggled at this, and he looked at me and winked.

"So, uncle, I've been thinking. It's only a matter of time before I run into Azula again. I'm going to need to know more advanced firebending if I want to stand a chance against her," Zuko said. I thought he was a pretty good firebender, but yet again, he did get thrown around a bit while fighting his sister. "I know what you're going to say: she's my sister and I should be trying to get along with her."

Iroh set his cup down beside him, "No, she's crazy, and she needs to go down."

I raised my eyebrow, not the reaction Zuko was thinking he was going to have, but at least he does not need to argue with his uncle. I glanced over at Zuko, to see him quickly look away. Zuko nodded to him.

"I hope you don't mind me asking, but who are you again?" Iroh asked me. "I remember you helping me, but I don't remember your name."

I smiled warmly at him, "That is quite alright. My name is Mara."

"Remind me how you know my nephew?"

"She never told you that," Zuko pipped up.

We both looked over at him, and he rubbed the back of his neck. I noticed that his hair is a bit longer now than when we first met. Still fairly short though.