Challenged.

Lahan managed to avoid a kick from Masrur and tried to gain some distance, Ja'far dissapearing somewhere in the room... Masrur kept his pace as Lahan managed to block some attacks with great difficulty, before he could do something however Ja'far appeared from behind, placing one of his arms around Lahan's neck. Masrur went to deliver a hit only for Lahan to grab Ja'far and throw him over to Masrur, charging just as the white haired man landed.

"That's enough." 

At Sinbad's tone, any attempt for an attack against each other stopped. You glanced over at the king before moving closer to your son, you took a good look at his throat and relaxed upon seeing that there were no bruises. You then turned to Sinbad and said in a cold, almost calculating tone.

"I suspect he passed that little test of yours, your majesty. Now, I would like to enjoy the banquet with my son, so you'll have to excuse us."

"Ahh have I made you mad? Sorry, I wanted to see his abilities... if it makes you happy you can both sit with me and my friends and eat."

"That will be an unthinkable act, when I, myself, do something that can be considered an achievement... I will join a table where your majesty sits. Lahan, if you wish you can sit with his highness, your performance today was amazing... you deserve the honor." You said and Lahan seemed insulted at your words.

"Mother, I would never just sit around and have a good time while you or my siblings have to deal with the vultures waiting outside."

You chuckled and your gaze relaxed, a gentle smile directed exclusively to your first step son. You were suspecting that Lahan would say something like that, he was a very loyal and caring young man... even though you weren't his birth mother you were still proud of him.

"Don't worry, you men have swords to defend yourselves. We, women have other weapons to deal with threats. Besides I can already picture Ashim asking about your meeting with the king, it'd be a good chance to tell him a good story."

Lahan sighed in defeat, he could tell that you wanted to be alone for a short while, probably to deal with other rich or noble families. So he did what you asked, when you all went outside to celebrate, you went ahead and talked with a few people. There were women and men that came and tried to brag about their power and social standing, so you then decided to have some fun. Unleasing your supressed aura slowly, those around you began to argue and the more you allowed your aura to spread, the more severe the arguing became. You began walking away slowly until you eventually sat on a table by yourself, you were brought food and something to drink as you stared at the people that were fighting with each other.

"It seems you couldn't have a proper conversation." A voice said and you glanced to your left to see Ja'far, he had a small smile and his eyes were apologetic, as if he had done something.

"It isn't your fault that people like them want to brag but can't stand it when others do the same. It's the reason I wanted Lahan to stay close to the king."

Ja'far's smile became wider, he sat next to you as if you two had been old friends. It was strange but endearing in a way. You asked for another cup as the two of you slowly drank wine and talked about a lot of things, from treading goods to your views of social standing, from books to what you'd consider a proper system of teaching others. Ja'far opened themes that were challenging and made you think more of what to say... it was entertaining and you enjoyed his company.

"I never thought I'd meet a person with such interesting views." He admitted with a small blush and you chuckled.

"Your thoughts are also very interesting, lord Ja'far."

"Um... could you not call me lord? It feels a bit weird."

"Then you should also call me (Name)."

"I... okay, I agree."

"Then, Ja'far your thoughts on those matters are impressive as well." You said and Ja'far blushed more at how the tone of your voice changed, it had gone from warm and respectfull, to caring and kind. It made him feel weird, never before had he met a woman like you... surely this was not mere coincidence, for such a woman to be living in Sindria and for him to meet her the way he met her.

"Thank you, (Name)."

The two of you kept talking until eventually it was time for you and Lahan to go home. Ja'far asked if it'd be okay to come by your house every now and then. You agreed and then left for home.

When Sinbad learnt of what had happened, he was smilling like an idiot. As if he had been the one you had grown fond of and not his friend, however Sinbad's reaction made Ja'far realize something. There were people that, like his friend, thought that if they had someone you trusted nearby, they were also members of your close circle. You were a smart woman but Ja'far suspected that you wouldn't be able to see through all fo the people around you, something that could lead to disaster for all parties involved. 

As his king kept on drinking and having fun, Ja'far decided to make sure that his newly discovered fears wouldn't become a reality, Lahan was a good kid but he needed a lot of training against strong opponents like him and Marsur, if there was a man that was, not as powerfull as him, yet strong enough to get the best of the boy, you and your family were doomed.

As he slowly followed the road you had been most likely taking to return home, he was glad to see you entering your house, with Lahan right behind you. Just as he was about to leave though, he spotted two men approaching the house, they carried weapons and as far as Ja'far was concerned, their lives were about to come to an end.