Chapter 26

The original group of guards that engaged Lynden had either been killed or retreated. His armour had taken a few more dents causing spikes of pain in his shoulder, making it increasingly harder to wield his sword. Jessica had taken several strikes to her legs and stomach. Her leather armour had torn from the strokes of swords, causing blood to trickle from her wounds. The warhorse had cuts over its legs and after being struck by a spear between one of his armoured plates, the beast was not as ferocious as earlier.

The trio looked upon the throne in front of them, then at the prisoners behind them. There were still troops positioned in front of the captives. To make matters worse, they heard screams in the distance.

Laughing, Myval said, "Were you expecting anyone or was this it? I feel those cries of pain from the streets are answer enough."

Behind the throne barging through the prisoners were two giant champion guards. They were usually stationed outside the king's chamber doors. With golden crests on their breastplates identifying their position, one of them brandished a kite shield and a long sword while the other favoured a great two-handed blade, drawing it from his back. The weapons did not seem to hinder them in the slightest, yet what the trio found most troubling was that they could not see any part of their body as it was clad in armour from head to toe. Only their black eyes that seemed to mould into their armour were on show.

Many other guards rallied around their champions as they stalked towards the trio.

Lynden, between heavy breaths said to Jessica, "Leave, please, we cannot win."

Ignoring his plea, Jessica wiped the blood off her swords with the leather armour she wore then took a few steps forward raising her weapons ready for the charge.

It wasn't just blades though they had to contend with now. bolts were flying at them. Only moments after readying herself, a stray bolt hit Jessica in the thigh making her fall to the ground on all fours. Lynden took a few hits but nothing penetrating, his armour taking the blows and making some arrows even break on impact.

Lynden rushed over to her, dropping his blade by his side while he put his hands on her back, seeing if she was okay.

"Jessica!"

With a grimace a second later, she responded, "Don't worry I'm fine." As she tried to rise her leg gave out, then she muttered, "Though standing might be an issue."

The pair looked up to see the two champions still walking at a steady pace towards them. Both on the floor, neither would see another day. The attackers were only paces away from them where they would close the distance and swing their swords, killing them where they lay.

A howl echoed through the street, a black figure jumps over Lynden and Jessica on the floor, as it continued on into the attackers, biting into one guard's shoulder. More black figures came rushing in, hitting soldiers clad in black armour all over the market square.

Soldiers openly screamed in pain and fear. None had seen where they came from nor did they get a good look at the attackers. Some soldiers randomly swung their sword in a panic to no avail.

A white wolf walked up behind Lynden, nudging him with its snout.

Lynden looked up, gratitude in his face before he pointed towards the prisoners beyond the throne and said, "He's over there."

The white wolf walked forward, a guard with a spear went to stab the beast in the stomach through another black wolf came out of nowhere to strike his side, biting his leg and dragging him off behind a stall.

For the first time, Myval looked on with slight worry in his face but able to disguise it under his hood.

"I've had enough of this," the king grumbled.