Chapter 22

A young girl poked her head out the crack of a window that had been left open. Told not to look on several occasions she had escaped the watch of her mother and father. She Had already seen the bodies, though she was too young to understand but curious about what was going on.

She saw a large horse approaching at a speed that she wouldn't have thought possible. Its footfalls sent echoes throughout the surrounding houses. The horse that approached was armoured, she saw the white fur beneath the steel outlined with a metallic brown the shone in the light. The man atop the horse she thought looked out of place. Wearing only a chain shirt with brown pants and a sword at his waist, he barely looked like he could afford such finery.

Moments later Reece pulled the great horse to a halt outside the inn.

Running over to the adults, the little girl said frantically, "A man, a man on a great horse is outside. It's wearing armour!"

Perking up their heads, Jessica and Suzy shared a look. The only lone man they could think of coming here was Lynden.

They both ran for the door, Jessica pulling it open before anyone could protest.

The girl was right, there was a horse, a warhorse outside that did look like the one Lynden rode but it was not him atop.

Before either woman could get a word out the man said quickly, "Lynden, he fights alone, heading towards the market. He needs help!"

Another man then came forward aiming a crossbow at the man's chest, "I know you, you're a member of the guard. Exactly why should we trust you?"

"If you don't believe me believe the horse, I don't expect he lets many ride him willingly."

Taking a step closer, Jessica walked up to the horse placing a palm on its snout, letting out a deep breath the horse dips its head.

Turning, she gestures towards the man with the crossbow, "Fenkle, do as the man says now. Get on the rooftops and converge on the market, surround it if you can. Lynden is alone. He needs our help now."

Having changed into her leather armour, she was all ready to go. Two short swords were on her back with several knives at her waist.

"Soldier, get off the horse," Jessica said to the man.

After having done so she got onto the horse herself.

"Suzy, do you know of any other soldiers or pockets of resistance that will help us?"

"I do, well did. Many may be dead now, especially those in the castle." Picking up a bow she continued, "I may not be much but I will join Fenkle on the roofs."

Several other farmers, crafters and townsfolk followed suit picking up any weapons they have.

There were no more than thirty in total. Twenty of which were the new recruits with only ten being trained hunters or archers.

"What are you doing Jessica? You know I won't let you do anything alone?" A gruff old man said as he hobbled over to her on his walking stick.

"I won't be alone, I'll be with Lynden and my trusted friend here." She pats her hand on the horse's neck. Then before getting any further protest, she leant forward to the horse's ear and saying, "Take me to him."

Needing no further instructions, the horse turned back the way it came, its pace even faster before.

As the men stared after the brave woman, Suzy cuts in, "We need to get moving. You there, guard."

Pointing at the guard that came on the horse, she asked, "What is your name and will you help us?"

"My name is Reece madame, I'm not much good with a bow but I can use one. I'm a decent swordsman so will go first up any pathways to make sure it is clear."

"Please lead the way."

Men and women alike followed Reece, some having not fought before. Many are pale-faced, others shaking while some are just eerily quiet as they walk to war.