0. The Chains

TW: Swearing, slight bullying/gossiping, death

~
~🌒🌑🌘~

~🌖🌕🌔~
~

    Amara Paice. An average as-can-be child just trying to survive high school, all while trying to attract as little attention as possible. This explains why she's sitting on the bus, music blaring in her ears while trying to ignore the loud chattering around her. Normally, she was good at this sort of thing. Whether it be ignoring the weird and mean looks or the gossip that surrounds her wherever she goes, she was good at it. So good that if ignoring people was a sport, she'd be in first place every time. However, today seemed like a different story.

A girl, who sat quite a few seats behind her, was what made today a different story. She looked older than Amara, her brown hair tied in a ponytail behind her back as her honey eyes crinkled with laughter. But then again most people at that school looked older than Amara. Maybe it was her short height or her baby face but most teachers at the school didn't mistake her as a 6th grader for nothing.

The girl's loud giggle interrupted Amara's thoughts, somehow cutting through her loud music. It made her wonder if that was the highest the volume truly could go. She didn't mind the girl being loud, if anything she welcomed it since the bus was usually so dead and gloomy. She just wished the conversation that was oh so funny and loud wasn't about her. Which is where her wonderful skill of ignoring would come in handy.

So you can only imagine how joyful she was when she heard the familiar tire screech through all the loud noise. Amara pulled her headphones out of her ear welcoming the loud conversations as she gathered her things, swinging her backpack over her shoulder. The chatter at the back of the bus died down the moment they saw her head of curls. That's all the evidence she needed to assume that the girl was new, not knowing that the girl she heard so much gossip about rode the same bus. And like mindless fools, the rest of the kids followed along with the gossip. If their suspicious silence was anything to go by.

'Idiots...'

She wasn't too hurt or upset about the gossip. Knowing that small town, it was probably the same thing as always. Have you seen her mark? She must be cursed. She's such a freak. She might curse us too if she hears us! We should stay away from her. If anything, Amara would be entertained to hear something new about her. Most kids didn't have the guts to proudly talk about her when she was around. A childish fear that they'll get cursed if they do. She has to resist rolling her eyes just thinking about it. Amara adjusted the circle glasses on her face as she walked down the bus aisle. She paid no attention to the kids at the back as she exited but emerald green eyes met honey ones just as she descended the steps.

The minute she stepped outside, despite the chilling rain, the summer heat warmed the girl's gold skin. Not even the rain could falter the heat, leaving the air humid. It was a strange sensation but she didn't mind as she walked down the empty street. The screech of the bus barely reached her ears as she was already stuffing in her headphones that were already blaring music. Her eyes soon fixated on the plain two-story building, that easily blended in with surrounding ones as her feet padded against the wet concrete.

The time it took to get to the house felt longer than usual, music blaring now comfortable in the girl's ears. She fished through her coat pocket as she approached the door, eventually finding the key to the house. The door opened with a familiar loud creek as she entered the cold space. The air conditioning was working overtime, turning the humid air to freezing within seconds. And while a shiver ran down her spine, Amara easily accepted the chilling air. No one had expected the summer heat to move in so early, nor for it to be so resilient.