【13 ➢ Growing Suspicions】

"What the fuck." You whispered under your breath, your lungs had an odd tingle feeling, as if you held your breath for too long, the slight burning sensation that couldn't hurt you enough to feel significant pain, but enough to keep you distracted, uncomfortable and annoyed. How do you feel? If someone asked you that while you were in this moment, staring at Dazai's half-lidded eyes reflecting nothing but an overwhelming cockiness, you'd have a mix of emotions as your reply. You felt hate, shock, a sense of doubt in his words, slightly scared, a want to laugh uncomfortably. You were at a loss for any more words, your eyes wide enough to feel the air against them, making everything feel colder. 

Although no one else was with you besides Dazai, you felt as if he exposed a secret of yours before thousands of eyes, making you completely vulnerable with only his presence and a couple of his manipulative words said in his signature cocky tone. You hated this, you hated him. Although you thought this, you just couldn't seem to be away from him, you reasoned with yourself that this was to keep a close eye on your enemy, but you always questioned that excuse, you always questioned yourself. It was difficult to make decisions on your own when you always trusted Mori to control, manipulate, and make them for you. You knew it was wrong, you knew that everything Mori did for you wasn't for you, that it was another piece in a puzzle he had set into place, that everything Mori did for you was to benefit only him in the end. You knew that he was only using you, but without him you didn't know what to do, what decisions to make, you'd only to mimic and rely that one day he'd come back to help and guide you once more.

What is this, Stockholm syndrome..? It disgusted you how much you depended on Mori, how being with him made you want to mentally break down but being without him made you feel longing. You wouldn't win either way, this is how it's always been. 

"I'm leaving, let go Osamu." You demanded, a sharp sense of urgency to leave kicking in, you clenched your hand into a fist, trying to rip the hand locked in Dazai's grip out by aggressively tugging it towards you, despite all your attempts there wasn't a single budge of his arm.

"What, frist names now, y/n?" 

"I can change it to a curse word if you like." You snapped back, your eyebrows furrowed, your entire mind fighting to replace your fear with anger, and it was partially working. His grip around your wrist completely restricted the movement of your hand, the blood flow cutting off making your palms run with a sharp cold. Dazai aggressively tugged your wrist beside his head, looking down at you with a look, his eyes half-lidded, dark, narrowed down at you and his lips slightly curved down. Despite having known Dazai for a short time, you knew this was the personality Dazai played when he was a mafia executive. Your blood ran cold, your shoulder went limp, stopping any resistance against Dazai in an instant. From Dazai's stare alone you couldn't fight back any longer, it scared you, how much the man could sway you with his glare alone. 

"Sorry..-" You mumbled bluntly, your voice airy as you stare deep into Dazai's eyes, pleading for anything other than his silent glare as a response. You flinched when Dazai pulled your closer to him, his lips by your ear, his breath down your neck. You were frozen. Why can't I move? You told yourself so many times that you would hit anyone who tried anything with you, you were strong enough to put up a fight, so why were you standing still as a statue? What happened to being strong? Your mind was empty yet so concentrated, absorbing every millisecond of this moment. 

"If you listen to me, if you be a good little girl and stop being so defiant, I wouldn't need to be so mean with you.~" You felt his warm breath against your skin, sending strong shivers down your spine, making you tense up and stiffen your whole body. A lump caught in your throat, a blur of thoughts in your mind. 

"Dazai, just let go..-" You weakly pulled back against Dazai's grip, fearing his aggressive retaliation. "Let's just get back to the others..." You pushed the subject lightly, looking down at the floor and avoiding his eyes, yet you could feel them burrow into you. You felt a rush of warmth return to your hand, Dazai's grip on your wrist releasing as he pulled away.

"Fine, they're going to come back soon anyways." Dazai said flatly, unamused at your want to cut his little game short. The breath of relief you had in that moment was as if you took the first fresh breath of air after wearing a mask for hours, filling your lungs and your mind with relief you didn't realize you lacked as you step back and away from Dazai, closing your eyes and putting your hand to your chest to calm your heavy breaths. Just then, the door to the agency opened and the lively chatter of Kunikida, Yosano, Atsushi, and Ranpo hit your ear drums. Kunikida paused for a moment, staring at you, slightly hunched over with glossy eyes standing in front of Dazai who was back to his cheerful persona he put on with the agency. 

"Welcome back Kunikida-Kun! We missed you, how was lunch?" Dazai asked in a cheerful tone with his eyes closed and his lips curved up into a slight smile, your mind went blank of thought, seeing the man that caused you so much terror minutes prior acting so cheerful, lively, and a bit cute with the others. How easily Dazai could switch between his different acts, how easily Dazai could power over you with his words and stare alone, you felt weak. You didn't like how you were going home with the man later today, but you couldn't help it.

"Y/n, come with me outside for a moment."