synonym (namkook)

"you're looking mighty grotesque,namjoon hyung, if i do say so myself,"

namjoon glances up from his book, his glasses sliding down to the tip of his nose, spotting a proudly standing jungkook who was leaning on the counter. jungkook stares dreamily at him, with a satisfied grin on his face. "do you even know what grotesque means?" namjoon slips his bookmark in his novel and closes it, placing it neatly on the front counter of the cafe that he regularly visits.

the barista nods, opening his mouth, raising his index finger up pointedly and taking a deep breath in, "of course, my appalling little munchkin, it means — it means," jungkook's hand falls limply at his side and he slightly deflates. he sheepishly smiles.

"what — what does grotesque mean, hyung?" jungkook stands upright and chuckles a bit nervously. "not that i don't know what it means, i just, i just uhm,"

"grotesque means frightfully ugly, a synonym to that would be appalling," namjoon calmly explains, and bites back a grin when jungkook's eyes go wide.

he knew that jungkook didn't know what the words meant, none of his comments to namjoon ever did make sense, all just full of sayings that held no clarity, and it would always take so much time for namjoon to attempt to understand them. "g-good thing i was practising for uhm — for talking to another namjoon, yeah, that's it. sorry hyung, i was just practising, i didn't actually mean it," jungkook rambles, nervously laughing. namjoon quirks a brow before stretching his arms and hopping off the stool.

"well, i gotta go. my break's been over for a few minutes, and i don't want jimin to eat my snacks again. i'll see you later, kook." jungkook slumps as he smacks his forehead, listening to namjoon's footsteps grow faint as he walks away. the door opened, the little bell over it ringing it, and jungkook perks up when he hears his name. "oh, and jungkook,"

"yeah, hyung?" jungkook calls from across the cafe, his heart pounding against his ribcage when he notices namjoon was smiling—a grin from namjoon was a rare occurrence, and this was only the third time jungkook's seen those heaven-sent dimples—"i think you're looking incredibly lavish yourself," jungkook blinks, and namjoon leaves.

"ooh, lavish. that's a new one." jungkook jumps, turning around to see yoongi, his co-worker. "yeah, lavish." jungkook mumbles, and sighs. "hey, what's wrong? he called you lavish, for god sake. you should be happy," jungkook almost smiles at him.

even if yoongi tried to deny it, jungkook knew that yoongi had a soft spot. "I—" jungkook sighs and looks at his friend again, whose face was softer at the slightly gloomy expression that his co-worker had. "i feel stupid, hyung, i don't even know what lavish means. for all i know, he could be calling me stupid." jungkook groans and aggressively rubs his face. "and i called him grotesque and appalling," jungkook whines, and yoongi snorts. "don't those words mean—"

"ugly? yeah, they do. and i called him both of those stupid words. ugly!" jungkook whines again, and yoongi gently rubs his back. "obviously if namjoon knows what lavish, appalling, and grotesque means, and all i ever see him do is read—aside from flirting with you—he must be smart. and he has to be smart enough to understand what you're implying."

"i really hope you're right, hyung. i just don't know what to do,"

yoongi shrugs, clicking his tongue. "my advice: i think the best that you can do, for that teeny tiny —" he pokes the middle of jungkook's forehead causing jungkook to huff. "—little pea-sized brain of yours is to read up on big words, and the meanings behind them. you can't just spurt out random words at him, kook. i mean, look what happened. you called him ugly. do that and i'm sure he'll be impressed."