4: Wei Ying remembers his death

After Wei Ying was gone, Jaing Cheng looked at his parents and when they could no longer hear Wei Ying's suddenly surprisingly light footfalls as he returned to his room for the night, he spoke up. 'Father, Mother ...... I am really worried about him. I think we should have a healer look him over.'

'Cheng, just because he is .... Quiet, obedient, respectful, polite, woke early, didn't shirk training, has not have any liquor ....' YanLi stopped listing off the changes in Wei Ying. 'Okay, I'm as worried as you are about him. This morning after he took off, I found him in that tree. When he came down I noted that he had hurt his hand on the tree but, later when I had Chi climb and clean the tree of any sharp spikes so it could not happen again, he came down and said the only place like that was a small protrusion that was not sharp enough to cut even the softest skin. Yet that is where he found the blood. Like XianXian had willingly smashed his hand on it just to make himself bleed. XianXian did ask if he was dreaming or not. I think last night he had a really bad nightmare and ... he might just be ... shaken by it.'

'Sister, I would love to agree with you but ... I've seen him shaken. I use to threaten him with dogs and that is nothing like what he is right now. Come to think of it, he asked us after training how we would know if we were dreaming.'

'You think his dream was so bad that he was not sure if he was awake yet .... Just what could he have been dreaming of that would change him like this?' Madame Yu asked because there had been days in the past he would walk around Lotus Cove almost trembling at every loud noise. When she demanded he tell her why, he said he had a nightmare.

'I'm not sure I like this change in him, there are times when it looks like he is trying not to cry.' YanLi said softly.

'Let's just wait to see if this change is to continue ... personally, I hope it does.' Madame Yu said quietly but deep down ... she would never admit it to anyone .... But .... She would miss that annoying smile and mischievous nature. 'However, I will need to have words with the cleaners, I walked past Wei WuXian's room this morning and found they had cleaned it up. It is now more orderly than my own room. I do not want them wasting their time on his room as he will no doubt get upset about this ....'

'I noticed this also; they left the door wide open and the blinds also.'

Cheng looked at his mother with a frown. 'He has been back to his room to wash and change ... yet he never said anything about his room being cleaned?'

The next morning Wei Ying again woke in his childhood bed ... cold and alone, his heart had a war between, flying high at the thought of having a chance to save those who needed saving, and twisting painfully at the thought of not seeing his husbands beautiful face, not being married to him, not sleeping in his arms and not waking up to his smile and kisses. 'I will just have to win your heart all over again ... because this ... this is real, I am not dreaming.' He wiped the tears form his cheeks. 'Oh Lan Zhan ... just you wait till I get there. Are you also back or am I all alone here?'

At that moment he remembered that place he had been in before he woke here yesterday. The green lush garden with flowering trees and bushes, Lan Zhan had been there smiling at me but he had also said something. He swore to love me just as much in this life I was going to repeat ... he swore to always fall in love with me no matter how many lives we lived. He swore to return my love.

'Oh ... if that was real ...... He really will not remember me and our previous lives. But Lan Zhan, I have to live this life without you until I win your heart again.' He sighed deeply as yet again tears rolled from his eyes. 'Did I actually agree to do this type of torture?' No wait a moment .... Why was My Lan Zhan there in the first place ..... if I died .... Surely he should not have been standing there?

At that moment, another memory flooded his mind causing pain, so with his hands gripping his head, his breath came in gasps, he watched his memories.

..........

He remembered the minutes before he died.

........

He had opened his eyes with his head on his pillow called Lan Zhan only to frown.

No sounds of his deep breathing ......

There was no thump, thump of his heart .........

There was no warmth from his bare chest ................

He lifted his head up only to find his much loved husbands' eyes open, those golden eyes dull and empty looking blankly to the ceiling and a soft smile still sat on his beautiful lips ... but instead of that lovely deep pink, his lips were ..... blue. His white hair spread out over the other side of the bed so it didn't bother him.

'Lan Zhan?' he reached out and nudged his chest only to quickly snap his hand back. 'You are so cold ... Lan Zhan! Husband!' he covered his mouth because he didn't want this to be true. 'Lan Zhan .... No .... Come back to me .... I need you.' He suddenly was not able to stop the scream from ripping itself from his very heart as he lifted his dead husband into his arms. 'Come back! Now!' he sobbed loudly only to then scream out loudly to anyone who could hear him. 'Heeeeeelp mmmmeeeeeeeee!' he repeated that single plea over and over until he heard a loud crashing sound then hurried footsteps running towards them. 'Aahhhhh.'

The door was thrown open the very moment he felt his heart feel like it was trying to rip itself from his chest but he refused to let go of his husband. He fell to the bed with Lan Zhan in his arms even as he watched Wen Ning and SiZhui running to him across the room ........

Everything went dark and silent before they even made it to him.

He died the very morning the love of his life and husband died.

He remembered his last thoughts being that he was grateful for not having to live a single day without Lan Zhan by his side.

Then he was standing beside Lan Zhan and that man was as beautiful and young as the day they had first met ....

In that moment in the garden, he had not remembering they had died ..... How is that possible? How can I not remember loosing the one person I lived for? He thought to himself as he again felt the pain of the death of his husband who meant everything to him. Well, at least I didn't have to keep on living without him ...... until now.

This morning he stayed in bed and cried his heart out as he remembered waking to a dead husband until his mind pulled him back.

Wait.

He is alive now.

I can win him over again.

We will live that wonderful life together again.

He lay on the bed and fought the desire to just race over to the Cloud Recesses and into Lan Zhan's arms.

He wiped his eyes and quickly got ready for the day. He didn't even care that his eyes were still red from crying so much.

Even when people asked why he was so sad, he just gave them a sad smile and said it would all work out later.