21: Lan QiRen picks only Wei Ying

Above is an image of what Wei Ying wants to do to Lan QiRen every time he asks him a question.

In every lesson for the following weeks Master Lan called on Wei Ying to answer a question.

So far, he had been the only person to be asked any questions during class and this ended up making him just sit there and answer almost like on auto pilot. He could answer any question while his mind turned over the important things he still needed to work through.

It was the same for weeks.

'Wei WuXian.'

'Yes Master Lan.'

'What was the profession of the progenitor of the QingheNie Sect?'

'A butcher.' Wei Ying played with the brush on the table.

The next day.

'The heraldry of the LanlingJin Sect is a white peony. Which type of white peony is it?'

'Sparks Amidst Snow.'

Every morning and every evening they would walk together to their spot and meditate for an hour before Wei Ying would talk to him and ask questions. This made Lan Zhan talk more and more, and this made him more comfortable around Wei Ying. At meal times, he and Wei Ying sat beside each other and with this Lan Zhan noted his diet was almost the same as his.

Every morning before leaving his home to go and meditate, Lan Zhan would spend some time thinking about Wei Ying and wondering if he should stay away from him ... but he always walked out the door and to the place he knew Wei Ying would walk past on his way for his morning meditation. Every meal time when there were no lessons, Lan Zhan had found the place to wait for Wei Ying so they could talk on the way to their meals.

Slowly Lan Zhan found he worried if he didn't see Wei Ying for a whole day other than meditations, like when his uncle sent him to the town below for something. He would hurry through his task and return as soon as possible only to find Wei Ying somewhere near the entrance, as if he had been waiting for him to return.

However, during class, he still sat just off to the side and one row back from Wei Ying, he had watched Wei Ying out the corner of his eye every day during class over the last three weeks and saw his boredom as his fingers played with the brush. Wei Ying's eyes didn't rise even once from his hands as he spoke and this made Lan Zhan begin to worry and take more note of him. He had secretly watched Wei Ying over the passing weeks as he ran around with his friends laughing now and then, chatting with a smile that didn't quite look real to him. Lan Zhan found he liked it when Wei Ying would seem to seek him out sometimes to make mischief but ... still something seemed a little off with the expression in his eyes.

There was one major thing Lan Zhan had noted about Wei Ying, he liked to try to make him react. Between their meditation and getting to their meals, Wei Ying would talk mischief to try to pull some kind of reaction from him ... and it was getting harder to stop that from happening. During these times, Wei Ying's smile and ... everything seemed normal, not forced at all but .... When he watched Wei Ying with his friends, he had this strange look.

Even though Lan Zhan didn't see anything wrong as to him Wei Ying was popular, no one picked on him, no one bullied him ... there were times he watched as Wei Ying would stop walking and talking all together and just look into the distance with an odd look he could not put a name to. As this was not something he could name, he just kept watching ... without talking to his brother. Now and then as he thought about what might be wrong, he, for the first time ever, felt his heart race .... He wondered if he was really worried.

However, there were a few times his reactions to one student from the Jin Sect, Jin GuangYao was like he loathed him but tried to hide it. There were times he had been talking with Wei Ying when Jin GuangYao had moved towards them that Wei Ying would excuse himself and hurry away. The look in his eyes had been like he was holding such fury at bay. This kind of thing had made Lan Zhan begin to seek Wei Ying out more often to watch his reactions to others; he found a similar reaction when Su She from the GusuLan Sect tried to talk with those around him.

An almost unperceivable frown formed on Lan Zhan's brow as he sat at his desk watching Wei Ying.

The next day yet again Wei Ying was called on.

'Wei WuXian.'

'Yes Master Lan.'

'Who was the first in the cultivation world to focus on the rise of his sect rather than his sect?'

'The progenitor of the QishanWen Sect, Wen Mao.'

His fluent answers over the last three weeks made everyone's hearts skip a few beats. Although they felt lucky he knew the answer and somehow he had been unlucky enough to picked every time, they all prayed for him to not be stumped by any questions, so that Lan QiRen wouldn't have the opportunity to pick on other people.

Yet, Lan QiRen asked only Wei Ying question after question, day after day.

'As a disciple of the YunmengJiang Sect, you should have been very familiar with these and known them by heart since long ago, so there is nothing to be proud of even if you answered correctly.' Even though the young man did not look at all proud, just bored and didn't even make eye contact with him. Obnoxious boy.

Then the very next day, Lan QuRen called on the young man yet again with a totally different question. This one had been known to stump all new students.

'Wei WuXian.'

'Yes Master Lan.'

'Let me ask you, there is an executioner with parents, a wife, and children, before he died, he executed more than one hundred people. He suddenly died in public and, to punish him for his deeds the towns people left him on the streets for seven days, being kicked or spat on as people walked past. With the repressed energy of resentment, he started to haunt and kill. What should be done?'

This time, Wei WuXian didn't answer immediately as he debated to keep it like it was in the first life or add more. The others thought that he was confused, and were beginning to feel restless.

Lan QiRen scolded, 'Why are you looking at him? Think about this as well. Don't open your books!'

The disciples took their hands away from the books that they intended on quickly flipping through. They were confused as well—having died in the public and left on the streets for seven days, it was definitely a fierce ghost and a ferocious corpse, and therefore a question hard to solve. Everyone hoped that the old man Lan wouldn't pick on them to answer. After a few moments, seeing that Wei WuXian didn't answer, Lan QiRen seemed like he was thinking, and spoke again.

'WangJi, you can tell him what should be done.'

Lan WangJi did not look at Wei WuXian, he just nodded to indicate respect and spoke in a monotonous voice, 'First, liberate; second, suppress; third, eliminate. The initial approach is to utilize the gratitude of his relatives and grant his dying wish, set free what he could not let go of. If it fails, suppress it. If the crimes were extremely wrongful, and its energy of resentment does not dissipate, exterminate it completely. The cultivation world should precisely keep to this order of measures. No errors should be allowed.'

Everyone let out a long breath, thanking the Heavens because Lan WangJi was the one the old man selected. Else, if it was their turn, it would be hard to not overlook a few steps or mix up the order. Lan QiRen nodded with satisfaction, 'Not a single mistake was made.' With a pause, he spoke again, 'No matter in terms of cultivation or as a person, one needs to be as solid as this. If one becomes complacent and proud just because they defeated a few simple mountain beings in their home and hold some empty reputations, one would definitely bring disgrace upon themselves and their sect, sooner or later.'

Wei WuXian raised his brows and took a look at the side of Lan WangJi's face. He thought, so, apparently this old man meant it just for dear little me. He called on his best pupil for us to listen in order for me to watch but .... The poor dear sounds almost dead. I can't wait until he livens up a little. He held in the chuckle that fought to escape only to see Lan Zhan glance at him as if he knew. He spoke, 'I have a question ... or two if that is alright with you Master Lan.'