46: Master Lan uses Empathy on Wei Ying

Lan QiRen frowned at XiChen in confusion. 'Why didn't you tell him that the little boy WangJi gave the drum too, turned out to be Wei WuXian?'

'He does not deserve to know that detail.'

'I see your point.' He looked around. 'What took you so long to step in?'

'I wanted to see how Wei WuXian would deal with an attack from within the Sect.'

'Same here.'

'Uncle, did you see what happened before I arrived?'

'Yes.'

'And ... did Wei WuXian do anything against our rules?'

'No.' he remembered something and smiled. 'However, I think he may have been skating close to the line when he pretended to see some fierce corpses and throw Su She into a muddy puddle behind a bush.'

'Oh, so that is why he was in such a state.'

'Yes. I need to say ... Wei WuXian has extraordinary acting abilities. I had to look around when he dove behind the bush. However, Su She was the one in the wrong. Wei WuXian informed him he had permission to be where he was but he still attacked even when WangJi was there and that is why I handed down the extra three months.'

'Would you show me what happened?' he tried to make it just sound like a leader needing information but .... The smile grew at the same time as his uncle's did.

'Okay.' He held out his hand and for a short time showed XiChen what happened.

'Well ... hahahahaha.' He couldn't help but laugh out aloud.

'I'm glad none of the others are around to see their leader laughing like this.' Master Lan snickered behind his hand as they started walking again.

'I think before they leave on their trek, I will ask the pair to do their three prostrations in the ancestral hall.' XiChen waited for his uncle to forcefully try to deny them this ... but this day was full of wonders of all kinds.

'I agree.' He walked on only to stop and look back when his nephew had stopped. 'What?'

'I thought you would fight me on this, in fact I had this full speech ready ... and you just agree like that.'

'Sorry for making you waste you time.'

'I know how you hated the idea of WangJi being a cut sleeve ... to the point of punishing him and his potential lover.'

'There is no way to stop the pair anymore. They are in love and will end up together for life. I saw the empathy remember ... a life time happily. Either I bend a little or ... they will just leave and we will never see them again. We, as WangJi's sect and family, must welcome his .... Male wife as we would if he was a female wife.' He shook his head. 'I never would have thought I would ever say those words ... until yesterday.'

'Uncle?'

'Yesterday I asked Wei WuXian if I could see his memories of his life here ... nothing of the pair, just ....'

'And.'

'To my surprise not only did he agree, but WangJi also agreed. Maybe he knew that would be the only way I would ever believe that Wei WuXian belonged here and with him.'

'What did you see?' Suddenly XiChen was sad that he never thought of doing that.

Master Lan let his himself remember as he told his nephew as he started another Empathy.

Empathy.

'Enter.' Lan Zhan called out at the knock on the door, even with Wei Ying sitting on his lap as they both read their own scroll.