[34] The Phoenix and The New Era

Everyone was having lunch as they sat around the fire upon which the food was being cooked. Yona and Zeno were laughing as Yun scolded Hak for stealing the buns from the basket. Jae-ha sits with Ken as they share drinks. Kija tries to get Shin-ah to eat more of the food as Shin-ah's food was being eaten by Ao. Ik-Soo had a gentle smile on his face as he watched them. It was truly precious.

Days like these were the most precious. These were the memories that they should carry with them when they would move forward. When they would find themselves in peril and sadness, these moments shall lift them up.

He looked forward as the crunching of leaves was heard. Footsteps. But they seemed familiar. Everyone looked up and saw the familiar dark midnight blue hair that they had become familiar with. Neon eyes came in to view and familiar blackish blue hair.

"Having fun without me?"

"Nee-saaaaaaaaaan!" Yona tackled her as the both of them fell backwards.

"Oh shi–"

Rue groaned as she was tackled to the ground. She looked at the purple eyes which were wide in happiness. She sighed and let her head fall to the ground.

"Okay, this one time."

"Look who finally found their way back?" Hak snickered as Rue flipped him off. Everyone chuckled at this.

Yona got up and Rue jumped to her feet as she dusted her clothes.

"Where were you? You just got up and left." Yun said as he crossed his arms, a stern look in his eyes.

"I went to do somethings which means that now," She walked over Yona with a small smile. Their eyes widened as they noticed the difference. Her smile was no longer cold or fake or empty or hollow. They were real, lively and beautiful. Her eyes were filled with a bit more life than before. And that her expression was more gentle than before. Rue might not change completely, but that didn't mean that she couldn't try do be more appreciative

"Now I will be tagging along you guys for awhile. Whether you like it or not, you are stuck with me now Yona." She teased the red head by flicking her forehead.

Yona smiled widely and nodded. "You better keep your words."

"Yeah."

□•□•□°□•□•□

Rue and Ken sat on the highest tree branch, their legs swinging in the air. The moon was shining really bright and illuminated the night sky.

"So what happens from here?" Rue asks as the two of sit together.

"I plan to take a long vacation. Maybe try out some different kinds of food, see new places. I wanna leave the assassin in me behind. Wasn't that the life we were aiming for?" Ken says.

"I see. I think you already know but–"

"You're staying." Ken finished.

"Yeah. There are stills things I need to understand and find about my origin. I still need to find out who I am."

"Knowing you, it's no doubt you'll be able to fulfil it." Ken sighs.

"We've come a long way since then huh? A new step."

"Well then, I'm off." Ken says standing up as Rue also does the same. They give each other a hug as Ken pats her head.

"I'll always be there if you need me." Ken assures her but she already knew it.

"I know. Stay safe. Till next time." She smiled.

"Till we met again baby girl."

With that Ken had gone on his way and once again Rue had separated from her best friend but this time she wasn't alone. This time she had people on whom she could rely. Who had her back. And she knew it.

□•□•□°□•□•□

Rue and Zeno walked by the stream as the moon shone upon them. A comfortable silence over them.

"So the prophecy was right huh?"

"Yep. Rue, your sister is the reincarnated King Hiryuu." Zeno says the two of them stop.

"I think it has been proven. You are going to provide her your power aren't you?" The female smirked knowing his answer.

"I have waited thousands of years for her. And I think you know that feeling as well don't you, Rue?" A shine in Zeno's was present as the moon shone behind Rue, giving her a bright aura around her.

"Or should I say,"

Rue smirked, her neon eyes shining a deep red as Zeno bowed slightly. Her once midnight hair completely black and her skin pale.

"The Second Shield of the Ouryuu and the Dragons of the Legend, Lady Verena, the Phoenix."

□•□•□°□•□•□

(Time skip)

Rue and Yona stood on the cold mountain as they watched the troops March below. Back then, it was due to the one decision of confidence that they were able to break free from their chains. The story of back then, was something that not many knew.

"Its cold." Rue says to her sister.

"Well it is out here in the back of mountains.  I'm used to it though. See that's why I said to wear a thicker cloak." Rue said as she wrapped the extra cloak she brought for Yona around the redhead.

"Hai, hai."

"Princess, Rue. It's time." Hak says as the two sisters stand straight and look at the troops below them.

"About time." Rue smirks.

"Atleast now you won't be impatient." Ken smirks at the girl.

"Lend me your strength, everyone." Yona says a spark in her eyes.

"Of course." The Hakuryuu's claw grows.

"Me too." Shin-ah nods.

"Count me in." Yun grins.

"Of course, Yona-chan. And if that's what M'lady wants as well." Jae-ha smiles

"Zeno too! Zeno too!" Zeno cheers.

"As you wish." Hak smirks.

"Let's restore Kouka to its original power shall we?" Rue says as she walks ahead. She looks forward, a smile on her lips as they walk towards a new tomorrow.

With that began a new era for Kouka.

End of Book 1