Prologue

The

Gatekeeper

written by

RL Morton

Original Poetry

by

A.J. Wolfe

&

Sandra Strucel

First Edition

Copyright © 2014

by

RL Morton

Disclaimer

This book is a work of fiction. If any names used or characters developed resemble real people, it is unintentional and they are presented only in the context of the creative license needed to tell a compelling story.

DEDICATION

This book is dedicated to all who have struggled with the kind of destructive trauma that can splinter the soul into one or more shards designed for survival.

You know who you are, and we know that the loved ones around you have suffered as well trying, often in vain, trying desperately to help you.

The Gatekeeper is also dedicated to the women who lived the actual life stories that we have been transformed into fiction. Their triumphantly tragic tales, and the personal faith it took to find a greater purpose despite punishing circumstances, can teach us all much about the resilience of the human spirit.

Through them I found a higher calling for my life, inspiring the writer in me to roam over the pages of this book, sharing insights with all who choose to read these words and also be inspired by them.

PROLOGUE

I am a Gatekeeper.

When you die, my report will determine your fate in the afterlife.

For most souls, this is a fairly straightforward matter. I simply scan their memories and offer my opinion. For others, things can get complicated.

When a soul has been severed by trauma into a number of alters, each must be assessed on their own merits.

In order to accomplish that task, I must often overshadow the soul of someone close to the subject to see firsthand who they actually are and what they’ve been dealing with. Only then can I provide an accurate and just assessment at the time of their passing.

My first case took me to the 1990s American Midwest where a man named Erik helped me invade the soul space of my initial mission subject. Speaking through Erik, let me begin the story.