CHAPTER 2-

MIKA

I unlocked the door to my apartment and fell over face forward on my couch. This had to be the worst night ever. My stomach felt queasy just thinking about it, plus I was slightly horny.

"Alexa, play my love playlist." I sighed and laid on the couch for a good minute.

I was so over this. Why would you have a baby momma/girlfriend/wife I didn't even know and try to take me out on a date? Was I a joke to these guys?

I finally got up off the couch with smeared mascara and dragged to my bathroom to clean up for the night. I just had to forget about tonight and move on. It was sad what he did. He was cute, but he was no good.

I took out a makeup wipe and removed my makeup slowly as tears left my eyes. I didn't know why that situation at the date hurt me, but it did. I looked at myself in the mirror seeing my eyes turn red with tears.

"You a bad bitch," I said to myself.

I was holding back the tears. It seemed like these dates never worked, and I was only getting older... I hadn't met the guy of my dreams at high school or college OR medical school, and I was starting to wonder if I were ever going to find anymore who I genuinely liked. Like damn, was I cursed or some shit?

"You got this girl. No crying now. You gonna get the motherf-ing bag tomorrow and help kids."

I finished taking off all my makeup, undressed and headed into the shower. The warm water from my overhead showerhead washed over my body like rain. I took deep breaths, smoothing my hands over my face. I was tired. I had a long day of work plus this mess of a date.

Grabbing the lavender body wash, I squeezed it onto my pink bath sponge and began soaping my mahogany-toned body. It felt so good to be finally back home after a long day. I took some shampoo and conditioner and washed my hair. I was on call tomorrow, so I kind of (not really) had the day off. I grabbed the face scrub from my bathroom counter and began exfoliating my face in gentle circles. There was nothing better than some self-care.

Alexa started playing Unforgettable by Nat King Cole as I stepped out of the shower. I wrapped my towel around my body and grabbed a small towel for my hair.

"Unforgettable, that's what you are

Unforgettable, only afar

Like a song of love that clings to me

How the thought of you does things to me

Never before has someone been more."

I danced my way to my bedroom, humming the rest of the song. It was one of my favorites, and it always made me feel so warm inside. I grabbed a pair of white satin sleeping shorts and an oversized college T-Shirt from my closet, placing them on my bed. I spread my legs out in front of me and dropped my towel, lotioning every part of my body with a lavender-scented lotion.

I slipped into my shorts and shirt, then laid in bed for a minute, looking through my big window that looked out at the city. This big ass city and I felt so alone here—a deep sigh escaped my parted lips. I watched the snow trickle down from the sky. Sometimes I wanted to have someone to share my love with...but I just hadn't seemed to find the right one.

My phone started ringing on my side table next to my alarm clock. It was 9:45 pm on a Friday, and I was at home doing nothing at all. I stopped the music and answered the call. My best friend Gina was calling, probably to ask about this date. I shook my head, still thinking about this unbelievable guy.

"Hey girl," I said, putting the phone on loudspeaker.

"Hey, Mika," she beamed on the phone. "How was your date with Mr. Lawyer?"