20 | Never Play Fair

LOUIS

_

I'VE NEVER FELT so disgusted by Hook before, and to say it was filling me was rage was an understatement.

The Sea Devil was docked near Skull's Rock, pirates pacing around the top of the ship's deck lazily, all of them either drinking or singing a drunk song. How could they just sit there knowing their Captain was a worthless piece of rubbish?

Sliding my dagger out of my belt, I clamped the blade between my teeth and took a dive down towards the water. Flying through the air used to be a delight, but now it's just a skill I need to hijack the boat.

I was going to put an end to this.

"Where's Hook?" I spat out, the heels of my boots thudding against the deck as I landed, "where is he?"

As soon as my voice rang out into the air, everyone snapped their head towards me, silence suddenly swallowing the space up. Ignoring the dumbfounded looks of the crew, my eyes scanned the ship for Hook.

The sea devil was by far the ugliest ship I had ever seen, and it complimented the captain's disgusting personality. Musty, outdated, and smelled like rotten seaweed.

"I'm going to say this one more time!" I yelled, whipping out my dagger, "where's James?"

And on cue, Captain J. Hook came striding out from his cabin, a thin sword swinging alongside his hip as he walked. Smee came shuffling behind him, pushing his spectacles up the bridge of his nose to see what all the commotion was about, but soon my gaze averted back towards the Pirate Leader.

He looked happy to see me.

"Well, if it isn't the Partridge boy," he sneered, his boots thudding down the wooden stairs, "come to give yourself up?"

I scoffed, holding out my dagger, "you wish, Hook."

"Oh, I have been wishing," the man said, his fingers wiggling together, "I expected that foolish girl to bring you here, but I'm more than glad to know you did it yourself."

I wanted to chuck my knife at him as soon as he dared to mention [y/n].

He was a disgusting slime ball, and even if he begged for years of forgiveness, he'd never deserve the right to say her name, or even speak about her, to be honest. He should be thrown in a cell for his actions.

"I'm here on behalf of her, actually," I frowned, pushing my hair out of my eyes, "you threatened to take her life, so I'm going to take yours."

Hook grinned, "caught feelings, have you?"

"Does it matter?"

"Yes, it matters, you idiot boy. It means she lied about being your enemy, and once I'm done with you, I'll have to kill her for it."

"You keep your hands off of her," I hissed, "and who says you'll be done with me?"

The Captain laughed, turning to look at his assistant in disbelief. His condescending nature was digging under my skin, an instinct of age superiority he clearly thought was true.

He underestimated me.

"Scared, Hook?" I spat out, "I think we should end this now."

He cocked a brow, "how so?"

"Fair duel," I explained, taking a step back, "one on one, no interference, single weapon, got it?"

Though I never usually got in fights, it was important to train for moments I would—which was now.

James let out a string of owl hoots, amusement painted all over his face. Reaching for his sword, he slowly pulled it out from his sheath, tilting it towards the floor as he adjusted his leather jacket.

He grinned again, "fair duel."

Without warning, he lunged towards me, his sword almost grazing against the skin on my right arm.

Letting out a grunt, I flipped to the left and blocked another swing with the blade of my dagger, ducking to avoid another attack. Hook was annoyed I was dodging, so he tossed his sword into his other hand and planted his leather boot against my chest, shoving me fully onto the ground.

In turn, I rolled out of the way, chucking my dagger at his face.

It missed, hitting the side of the boat with a thwap.

"Lost your weapon, boy?" Hook sneered, the blade of his sword dragging across the deck, "I thought you were better than this."

Hopping onto my feet, I bent down to pick my dagger back up, "define better."

"Capable of beating me."

"What makes you think I'm not capable of that?"

"Simple," Hook said, rolling his eyes at my still body, "why are you just standing there?"

Grasping the handle of my knife tightly, I felt the corner of my lip twitch into a smile. Even with the crowd of staring pirates, the rushing water of the sea, and the squawking of the seagulls above, I only had my eyes on Hook.

"Because I enjoy seeing the fear in your eyes," I smirked, cocking a brow, "it's over, James."

Something flickered in the man's eyes, but I didn't care. Raising my dagger above my head, I pushed Hook towards the side of the boat, pinning him down with my left forearm.

For someone about to encounter death, he didn't look scared.

"Any last words?" I spat out, my fingers itching for revenge.

The man nodded, letting out another one of his devious chuckles. Brushing his curly hair out of his face, he flashed me a pearly grin.

"You were always so trustworthy, Partridge," he said, a shadow falling over his face, "too bad pirates never play fair."

Before I had a chance to react, I felt a blow to the back of my head, and my body seemed to shut down. Everything started to shut on and off through my eyes, tears pressing out of my eyelids.

The last thing I saw was the side of Hook's boot as I fell to the ground.