Prolouge ✔️

EDITED
"Amy" my Mother slurs crying sweat appearing at the top of her head, her eyes glued shut. I reach the top of the stairs, I had been out all day trying to get some money and food and paying a bill. I now regret it.

My mother is very sick, no one knows why, or how they think it's just from stress and a broken heart. Because we can't afford hospital bills, I have to scrape every bit of money I can find towards her medicine. I have to look after her, I run to her bedside.

"Are you okay, Mum?" I ask placing my hand on her forehead she had a temperature. I adjusted the fan so it was on her.

"I need another pill" I notice she still has a black eye and this time it looks even worse than before I left.

Oh shit! Amy this is all your fault.

No doubt this is from my father. He's a drunk who can't get his life together. Since I was 10 maybe I don't remember my age exactly, he hates us all, my eldest brother was smart to get out of here. I have to steal money when his knocked out from alcohol just so I can get by.

"Mum did Dad hit you again?" I ask stroking her hair while trying to find a bottle of medication that isn't empty, but most of them are.

You should have used the last of the money to buy pills not pay a stupid bill!

"He thought I should get my lazy butt out of bed and cook him breakfast. Amy it hurts make it stop!" She sobs "Please Amy!"

I sigh, my father has hated us for years eve! before my Mum has gotten sick, he takes all the money I save for her medicine and uses it to feed his love of alcohol. It's the fifth time this week his punched her in the eye when I've been out and she can barely keep it open. I rush downstairs my dad is hugging a rum bottle.

You have to do something you cannot let him keep hurting her.

Usually he'll move on to me instead, and although I don't want it, it's best he lets my mothers eye heals.

"Stay away from her, dad I mean it" I say gritting my teeth tightly holding the banister

"Piss of Amy" he hisses "She's my wife I can do what I want" he says getting up and growling at the empty alcohol bottle "Where is the bloody money? I'm out of rum!"

"No Dad I'm tired of you thinking you're it and a bit. Stop hurting her or I'll call the police" as soon as I said it I know I'm in trouble, you don't use police in any sentence with my father.

He laughs "You? You think they will believe you? A fat ass girl with worn and dirty clothes, greasy hair and a slut? Well let me save you a walk. I own this house, I pay the bills, I put the bread on the table"  he says pointy a grubby finger at me. 

What bread?

He's all dirty he hasn't showered in a while, he stinks and dirt covers his face. Don't back down Amy, don't back down. I look around at the house. The chipping paint, the kitchen covered in dirty dishes that I will be forced to wash tonight, the cockroaches, the power that's been disconnected because we can't afford to pay it. The life I have been forced to live because my mother needs me. I'm a 23 year old who can't support herself, a lost cause a girl whose been forgotten about by all around her, one who is trying her hardest but her hardest isn't enough.

"No, Dad! Firstly shower, get a hold of your life and never" I say smacking his hand away from me "Ever call me a slut"

That's it. I've done it defended myself, my pride doesn't last very long.