Chapter Fourteen

Draco and Lucius didn't have the best Father-Son relationship. But before Draco turned a teenager, they were inseparable.

When Draco was only a few months old, Lucius would go out of his way to make sure Draco had all the finest baby products money could buy. Everything he looked at were from high quality companies, and he had no problem throwing his money around to buy them.

"A Malfoy always has to go for the finest things in life." He told Draco. It was a quiet Sunday, and Lucius and Draco were sitting on a couch in their living room. It was right after the Dark Lord's first defeat, and you could see that Lucius was more relaxed than ever.

Draco looked up and babbled some nonsense before going back to sucking on his thumb. Lucius sighed.

"You'll understand when you get older."

Draco's obsession with Harry Potter started when he was only six years old. It was a sunny day, and he and Lucius were out to get ice cream. That was when Draco saw a poster of a mysterious dark haired boy on the store window.

"Father, who is that?" He asked. Lucius peered over his shoulder and rolled his eyes.

"That's... Harry Potter. A spoiled brat who is currently living with his muggle relatives. Now, come along, Draco. Don't waste your time on... that."

"But, where is he?"

Lucius sighed. "Nobody knows, Draco. Now, come! Or else you're getting no ice cream."

That must have done the trick, because Draco immediately ran after his father, but not without looking back at the poster of this Harry Potter boy.

For the next few months, Draco couldn't stop thinking about Harry. Where was he? What did he sound like? What was his favorite quidditch team? Would they ever meet?

Maybe we could be friends! Draco thought excitedly. He suddenly knew exactly what present he wanted for his birthday, which was only a week away.

That night, Draco ran down the stairs of their manor to look for his parents.

"Mother! Father! I know what I want for my birthday!" He cried, jumping into Narcissa's arms. 

Lucius and Narcissa were going full out for Draco's seventh birthday. The most expensive gifts, a huge cake, and a birthday party that would put any others to shame. They had started planning months ago, and the present was the final touch. If it wasn't perfect, the whole day would be ruined. We all know Draco grew up very spoiled.

"Well, what is it, honey?" Narcissa asked. She smiled down at her son.

"I want Harry Potter!"

There was an awkward silence in the dining room. Draco's parents looked at him like he was crazy.

"Son, did you just say you want Harry Potter for your birthday?" Lucius asked quietly.

Draco nodded ecstatically.

"I want Harry Potter to come to my Birthday party and be my friend! We could go to Hogwarts together and do all sorts of fun things together!"

From the on, Draco would always think about Harry and wish he would one day come to him. So you could imagine how disappointed he was when Harry turned down his friend request. 

The death of Narcissa Malfoy was also a strain on their relationship. Lucius was absolutely devastated after that, and he would shut himself in his room without talking to anybody for days, even weeks sometimes. Kind of like what he was doing now because of Draco and Harry. 

Draco was twelve years old when this happened, so he did understand why his father was acting like that. But growing up being treated like a king made it hard for Draco to give Lucius the space he needed. Nobody knew this, but when Lucius got the Slytherin quidditch team their new brooms, it was because Draco wouldn't stop nagging him. 

And then, in third year, Draco finally got up the courage to come out to Lucius.

"Father, can I talk to you?"

It was a quiet Sunday Afternoon, and Draco was home for Christmas Break. They were in the parlor, just sitting quietly together.

Lucius raised a perfectly plucked eyebrow. "What's the matter, Draco?"

Draco took a deep breath and scooted closer to his father. He had been practicing this for weeks in front of his mirror. It was going fine then, but this was the real thing. After he came out, there was no going back. Draco looked down and began talking.

"I..." He bit his lip and suddenly lost all of his courage. "You know, what, never-mind. It's nothing."  

He got up and was about to leave, but Lucius grabbed his arm and pulled him back down.

"What is it, Draco? If you have something to say, then spit it out!" He said harshly. Draco winced and slowly pulled his arm out of Lucius's grasp.

Well, can't back out now, I guess... Draco thought. Just do it! Don't be a coward!" Malfoys don't back down! Malfoys don't back down! Malfoys-

"I'm gay and I'm in love with a boy at Hogwarts!"

Lucius gawked at Draco. He was not expecting this. He had always thought Draco would get a nice girlfriend during his years at Hogwarts. And to be honest, that was what he thought should happen. So, you could say that Past Lucius was sort of homophobic. 

But of course, he wouldn't be the type of parent to disown their child just because of their sexuality. He loved Draco with all his heart, but was just going through some shock right now.

"You- You're gay?" He whispered. Draco nodded and felt his cheeks flush.

This was a bad idea! He thought frantically. 

After a few seconds, Lucius just nodded his head and walked away. Draco stared after him, feeling his heart shatter. The door slammed shut, and Draco was all alone. He didn't cry, or say anything. Lucius always told him, 'Malfoy's don't show emotion. If you do, you're weak.' Lucius always said those types of things like he was afraid Draco would embarrass the family name.

So Draco never told anybody else about his secret. Not even Crabbe and Goyle. But eventually, Pansy found out and told Blaise. So then the whole Slytherin house knew about it. Even though the Slytherins are usually cold to others, they were super supportive of Draco. 

So, because of this, Draco and Lucius grew apart. Neither of them wanted to talk, whether it was about Draco's life at Hogwarts, or what Lucius was doing at work.

And that was just fine.