Chapter 15

Harry was sitting on the couch in between his parents. His cheeks were red and tear stained. But it was from his happy tears. James and Lily sat beside him on both sides. Lily was rubbing her son's back and whispering soothing words to him. 

Harry mumbled something Lily and James couldn't make out.
"Speak up, darling?" 

Harry wiped his eyes and looked at them. "How are you here? Aren't you guys... you know, dead?"

James sighed and smiled at Harry. "We are."

"Then-"

"This is a magical world, Harry. There are ghosts everywhere. It's just that..." He bit his cheek. "Some people that have passed on to the afterlife don't choose to become ghosts. They all have their specific reason. And I'm guessing you want to hear ours." He raised an eyebrow.

Harry nodded and scooted closer to both of them, seeking the warmth and familiarity of a parent that he never got to experience. The raven was dumbfounded. It should have been obvious to him about ghost business and such. After all, by this point, anything should have been possible to him. Yet, he was still confused. 

"You two didn't choose to take the form of a ghost. But then... how are you here now?" He asked. 

"You're asleep. You're dreaming. I think that once you wake up, your lovely friends will be there to inform you about all that has happened." James responded. "Now, back to what we were talking about before..."

Lily continued her husband's sentence. "I know that if we had chosen to become ghosts, it would have been much easier for you all these years. But we had a reason why not to. At that time, Tom Riddle was the most dangerous and the most feared wizard to have ever existed. Of course, we still had our suspicions about Albus Dumbledore." She spoke softly, but her voice was laced with malice when she said the name. 

Lily carried on. "We knew that the Dark Lord would somehow find a way to hurt you with us. He has before. We didn't want you to be hurt, Harry, love." She looked at Harry with eyes filled with sadness. "I really hope you understand why we had to do this."

Harry only nodded again. He couldn't speak. Nobody probably could have if their parents that were killed seventeen years ago were sitting right beside them.

His parents shared a look, and they decided to talk about something more comfortable for Harry.

"So, Harry, how's your relationship with...Malfoy..." James grinned. He wasn't that thrilled when he found out that Harry was dating Lucius Malfoy's son, but he learned to accept them. He learned to accept them after several beatings and harsh words from his wife. 

"We're nice." Harry smiled. But then, he realized what had happened before. In a sudden, Harry was flailing his arms around, as if he would somehow magically find Draco. But no luck. All that was beside him was his old home, and his parents beside him. 

"Calm down, bud. You won't find your boyfriend anywhere here." James chuckled. But of course, that was the wrong thing to say, and did nothing to calm Harry down.
His magic began to rise, and his parents could feel it threatening to erupt around them.

Like Harry was told, soulmates couldn't stay away from each other for long. Even though Harry and Draco were lying right next to each other in reality. They could only be soothed by actually knowing that the other was alive and well.

"Draco! Where is he?!"

Lily put a hand on her son's arm to calm him.

"Harry."

"Can you help me find him?!"

"Harry."

"Where-"