Chapter 4

[French Court]

"Nickolas!" Wyatt called chasing after the prince. Nickolas then burst open the doors to his Scottish cousin's chambers.

"How could you!" Nickolas yelled, as Mary and her Ladies all looked at the prince. Mary sighed and stood up from her seat.

"How could I, what?" Mary asked the young prince. "You'll have to be a little more specific, cousin." She added with a slight smile.

"Oh don't play coy with me. You know exactly what I'm talking about, Mary." Nickolas said with annoyance in his voice.

"I see you've inherited your grandfather's temper." Mary sassed as she walked over to a nightstand with a pitcher and glasses. "But I am a Queen, and as such I will do whatever it takes to defend my country from invaders." Mary proclaimed. Nickolas only roled his eyes with an amused smile.

"You may be a Queen, but I am the son of the two most powerful monarchs this world has ever known. If you challenge me Mary, I will defeat you." Nickolas stated and then left the room with his Gentalmen In Waiting following behind him.

"Nickolas you can't threaten a Queen." Thomas told the prince as they walked down the hall to go back to Nickolas's chambers.

"She is no Queen to me." Nickolas answered as he entered his chamber.

⚜⚜⚜⚜⚜⚜⚜⚜⚜⚜

It was the next day and everyone was out in the archery field. Nickolas was glaring at Mary and her Ladies In Waiting as they watched Francis and Tomas shoot arrows at a dummy with a sack hood for a head.

"If you keep glaring at her people will think you're plotting something." Simon whispered next to the Prince. But Nickolas only slouched as he crossed his arms.

"Oh just look at her, acting as if she's done nothing wrong. She's the victim, she's the one who needs help. What a complete load of-"

"Highness." Simon interrupted giving the prince a warning look.

Nickolas only sighed with annoyance as he watch Francis shoot an arrow at the dummy. The crowd clapped for Francis while Wyatt as there reading his book. Brandon looked at Wyatt and smirked.

"Why must you always read?" Brandon asked taking the book away. "Try having fun for once and watch the archers, Wyatt." He added holding the book above his head.

Across the platform Mary and her Ladies were talking and sharing a laugh. As Tomas was getting ready to shoot his arrow.

"Dose Tomas seem a little different to you? A little more bolder?" Aylee asked turning to her friends.

"More intense." Kenna added with a smile.

"More mercurial, anyway." Greer commented as she patted out the skirt of her dress.

"More engaged to Mary certainly." Aylee said making herself and the other smile and snicker.

"We're not all the way engaged. . . not yet." Mary clarified as she looked between her Ladies-in-waiting and ten back to Francis.

"Yes, and how do you feel about that?" Greer asked turning to her Queen. "I detect reservations." She added.

"It doesn't matter how I feel." Mary started. "I have to marry who's right for Scotland."

"Well, how do you feel if Tomas, is that man?" Aylee asked with a small smile growing on her face.

"I feel that we should remember that it's still a secret." Mary said looking at all her Ladies. "At least until King Henry releases me from my engagement to Francis."