Chapter 5

[French Court]

Mary was in her chamber packing her things to head to Portugal. A few moments later Mary's Ladies entered the room smiling and laughing.

"See, I told you she'd been here." Aylee said entering the room with the others following in behind her.

"The engagement's been official less than an hour, and you're already packing?" Greer asked picking up a gown and folding it.

"I have no choice. I'm going to Portugal in two days, right after the michaelmas banquet." Mary told her Ladies, as she took the folded gown from Greer and put it in her trunk.

"You're leaving?" Alyee asked sounding a bit disappointed.

"What about us? You don't want us to come with you?" Lola asked looking at her friend and Queen.

"Of course I do, more than anything." Mary said with a small sigh and sat down on the bed. "But you do have a choice. I can't ask you to come with me when none of you expected to live in Portugal. You all moved from Scotland to be here in France." Mary told then all.

"No, Mary." Lola said with a smile stepping forward. "We left to be with you." She said taking Mary's hands in her own.

"So you'll come with me?" Mary asked looking at her five ladies.

"Of course we will." They all said with a smile.

"I don't deserve any of you." Mary said happily as she hugged her friends.

"Well, you deserve to marry someone you love or at least like." Greer said simply. But there moment soon ended as they heard a small coughing sound from them the entrance.

"You know I've sometimes wondered what it's like to have a sister. I see now I am not missing much." Nickolas stated as he observed the room.

"What do you want Nickolas?" Mary asked getting rather annoyed that he was here.

"I want you to take back the words said by that whore." Nickolas answered before looking at Aylee and sent her a charming smile. "Well hello." He said catching Aylee off guard.

"She's not interested, but nice try." Greer said guiding a red faced Aylee away from the english prince.

"Why would I take back what that woman said? Would it be so England can continue it's attacks on Scotland?" Mary asked stepping forward with her arms crossed. "Nickolas, you realize you can put a stop to all of this. Speak with your mother, tell her I'm not a threat." Mary said trying her best to persuade her young cousin.

"But you are a threat, Mary." Nickolas said. "We are both connect by blood." Nickolas said gesturing between him and her. "Your grandmother is my great aunt. Which makes you my cousin, and links you to my throne when I became King." Nickolas says looking down at Mary.

"You're the future of England. All I'm asking is that you speak to your mother." Mary said in more of a pleading tone. Nickolas only looked down at his cousin thinking to himself which only annoyed Mary more. She then grabbed a pillow off the side of the bed and waked her cousin. "Nickolas you're eighteen years old for crying out loud." Mary commented. "Are you going to hide behind your mother's skirts forever?" Mary asked. Nickolas head snapped looking directly at Mary.

"I don't hide behind-" Nickolas paused and let out a chuckled sigh. "You know Mary, I really thought that maybe we could have been friends." He told the Scottish Queen. "But now I see you are to stubborn for your own good." Nickolas said backing away and headed towards the door. He then stopped and looked back at his cousin, and her Ladies-In-Waiting. "Don't think for one second, I won't hesitate to defend my family and my throne." He added before leavingbthe Scottish Queen in her chambers.