Part Seven

Sorrow filled into the camp & it remained that way into the following day too. I could see the sad glimmer into every cat's orbs. Leader Thicketstar, Deputy Feathersong, Stonetooth, Spottedwhisker, Ravenheart, & even some of the younger felines were showing sadness for losing such a great Warrior. My heart was heavy as I trained with Lostpaw & our Mentor's, I also recall taking notice to the distracted sparkle into Lostpaw's green-eyes.

I ran at the taller Apprentice full-speed, heart racing, & our Mentor's watched from near a short pine tree. I felt that Stonetooth had been distant today into his lessons, though perhaps he was not exactly sad like some others.

'I can't help but notice that Foxleap & Skunknose have not been around today. Hmpmm- maybe they are off training with their Apprentice's too, Redpaw & Leopardpaw? Or maybe they're being sneaky & unnoticed on purpose.' My lids narrowed a little as I thought, but I was brought back to reality when Lostpaw swished his tail & flung himself upwards so that he could jump clean over my attack.

I would slide onto my small paws to stop, neck craning over my shoulder as Spottedwhisker praised Lostpaw from the sidelines, the spotted Mentor's tone was proud as he spoke. "Good!"

"Woeh!! Nice one!" I meowed out loudly, tall ears swishing to the side of my tiny cranium before Lostpaw would turn to face me with his chest sticking out.

"Thanks! I learned that one today before sunrise while training with Spottedwhisker. She sure had me up early. Earlier than the sun itself! But yeahhhh- I got some long-legs, so I should put them to good use." The tan & black Apprentice spoke as if he were repeating these word from another,  & I offered the tom a little smile that felt somewhat forced.

"You sure do have long-legs! Maybe some of the longest legs out of any Apprentice, Lostpaw. Your Mama is pretty tall too- or maybe everyone looks tall compared to me." I meowed into a laugh.

Lostpaw nodded twice towards me, a smooth smile showing as his shimmering white-fangs poked out from his maw, then Stonetooth would call from the side with a hardy laugh. "You two are getting better everyday! Remember to keep those tails up when in battle, though. It will help you with balance."

Lostpaw & I looked to one another before gazing to our Mentor's, our paws padding to their way shortly after we both let out some small giggles, Lostpaw's giggles much deeper than mine.

We had rounded ourselves together after a short hunting lesson onto the territory. Our hunt had brought us to near the brambles onto the territory & were we successful into our hunt too! I was getting to know the terrain further, soon enough it felt that I would know the territory like the back of my paw.

During our hunt, I had made a successful frog-kill by hiding into some pine-trees, though I waited only a branch-high off of the ground. The clueless frog sat by the base of the tree-trunk & I remember how my whiskers wiggled with excitement for the hunt that I was about to make. There was no way that I was going to miss!

Due to my pounce's approach leaping down from the pine, there was no escape for the forest hopper. I had certainly had the slimy creature trapped & my fangs dug hard into the back of the frog as well as my claws, but my killing-blow had also been rather swift. I had always been an agile feline, but now my skills were far were precise.

"Excellent job! Both of you. Lostpaw you did very well, but we will have to work on some of your tracking skills within the following days. Also your paw-steps need to be much more silent." Spottedwhisker informed with a stern nod of her head & Lostpaw would nod back to the experienced Warrior with closed lids, a small woodpecker that he had caught hanging from his maw.