Part Eight

☪    

      A few of the Mentors had decided to take us hunting out onto the territory due to the weather being warm & sunny. I was feeling thrilled about the decision & I knew that Lostpaw would be joining onto the hunt as well. The Mentor's lead us out & I walked beside Stonetooth with a raised chin, it was feeling like some of my hindering thoughts were letting me be- at least for the day... which I was glad for.

The Mentor's had split us Apprentice's up into different groups for hunting, my whiskers trembled with thrill to do something that I was actually good at!

"Ready for this, Shorty?"  My Mentor had asked with a stern yet foolhardy tone & I nodded quickly to his direction as my tail swished into the air & the sun beat down onto my shoulders. "Absolutely am!!"

      I hunted sneakily that day, my body movements were stealthy & I managed to catch two mice within a blink of an eye.. or so that's how it felt to me. The mice had been foraging together while I snuck up from behind. Stonetooth meowed loudly & proudly after I had made my kills as well.

"Nice one! Now...thank Starclan. Do not make me ask twice too." He raised a brow into my way & I released a sharp sigh while dropping my kills. I slowly gave thanks to the cats into the stars in my mind, though my words were extremely vague to our ancestors. I really did not want to argue with Stonetooth at the moment.

My Mentor smiled with his fluffy white-tail swishing. "Good. Alright, let's keep going. We are making great progress before we have to meet up with the others- let's not stop now." He grunted with his ears pinning back & the large-tom moved ahead, snout sniffing into different directions for our next hunt.

"Yeah-yeah. I'm coming." I rolled my green-orbs & I remember picking up my mice-kills clumsily before catching up with my Mentor who was already a decent distance ahead.

It was not long before we were onto another hunt, a plump woodpecker. The bird's wings fluttered as it pecked it's beak into the bark of a pine-tree & the winged creature was clueless that we were close-by. 

Stonetooth padded towards some low branches before eyeing into my direction, than his head would tilt up towards the bird & I knew that he wanted me to climb up the tree into the opposite way of him so that we could surround the bird. We had attempted the move once before, but the hunting move failed due to my fear of being up so high.

      'uhhHHh- I'm not the greatest climber yet. We have not touch based onto too many of those lessons, but I guess.' I gulped in my mind as my small paws reached up to the closest branch that I could reach, my skinny-tail poked out behind my body to keep some balance too & my claws unsheathed to hook into the bark.

I started to pull myself up, I recall telling myself... 'Don't look down'. I remember repeating this into my head over & over! I was trying to stay calm. Continuing to climb higher, the pecking sound from the woodpecker would grow louder & soon I would hear a small meow from the other side of the bird. 

'That was Stonetooth!' I deducted into my thoughts with my green shimmering-orbs blinking into the direction of where I heard the meow & I watched as the woodpecker stopped it's pecking, then the feathered creature began to look around slowly, but my Mentor would leap from his hiding spot onto a long branch before his claws would snag right into the bird!

'WOEH! He got it!' I widened my vision with my heart thumping into my tiny chest. I could not believe that Stonetooth would make such a pounce while so high up into the trees. My black-paws padded to the tip of my branch that I was perched onto & my heartbeat started to slow a little until I saw the woodpecker fly out of Stonetooth's grip suddenly.