Chapter 17

To say that Germany and Japan were nervous was an understatement. Neither had much experience with dating.The blonde wished everyone could forget about the incident with Italy, and had made sure to burn that book so it ended in hell were it belonged. Japan didn't know he had been on two, so he couldn't be held accountable for those.
The car ride was sort of quiet, both of them too shy to even say something to the other, besides a simple hello. Germany thought that Japan looked rather cute with his outfit, and Japan thought that Germany was looking pretty handsome, but they'd probably set themselves on fire before saying so out loud. The Asian shyly told the European the address, which luckily wasn't that far away. Once they arrived, Germany politely opened the car's door for him.
It was a nice, quiet cafeteria that offered a huge variety of desserts: not only traditional Japanese ones, but it had more from different parts of the world. Something that Japan had learned over the years being friend with Germany, is that he was rather fond of sweets. Thankfully, so was he, so it was a nice place for both.
The waiter gave them the menu and a bit of time to decide what to order. Neither of them had any idea of what to say, not wanting to cause any discomfort to the other. Japan was worried about being too annoying, and Germany didn't want to repeat the issue he had with it all.
"I think something with chocolate could be nice..."Germany finally spoke out. It wasn't like things could get worse.
"Ah yes, maybe a Tamaki...and this cake looks nice too " he said, trying to sound as polite as possible, pointing to a caramel and chocolate cake.
They agreed, and ordered a coffee alongside said dishes, simply eating what they had asked for. It was oddly quiet for a date, so the waitress decided to intervene. While maybe it wasn't ethical to get in the middle of what two strangers were doing, perhaps it wouldn't hurt.
"This one is a courtesy from the house, please enjoy it !" She said and gave them some sweet vainilla ice cream, but only left one spoon. She didn't want to be THAT obvious, but those two had were for sure in need of some serious help.
"I guess we should take turns with it" Germany was unsure if it would be a good idea to ask for an extra spoon with a free ice cream.
Luckily, Japan, who might have read one or two shoujo, had understood why there was only one for both.
"Well, it's more like we have to feed one another with it...after all, we are in a date" saying that out loud probably took lots of effort for the poor man. "H-here, let me try..."
Japan carefully took a spoonful of the ice cream, and offered it to the puzzled blonde, who accepted. Even while sitting, Germany was still taller than he was, so Japan had a slightly hard time trying to give him the dessert. The blonde found that rather adorable, and didn't put much opposition after that.
Once half of it was gone, Germany decided it was Japan's turn to get some of it.
"It's only fair if I give it to you" he declared. Japan gave him the spoon, and Germany carefully fed him the ice cream. At some point, the blonde accidentally spilled some of the smaller country's cheek, making him chuckle.
"You're pretty cute..." Germany accidentally said out loud, making Japan's cheeks get red.
"D-do you really think so ?" Japan asked shyly.
Germany felt that maybe he had made some sort of mistake, but couldn't back down or it'd be worse.
"Y-yes, I really think you're cute" he accepted his thoughts.
"T-thank you..."Japan smiled "Then it's only fair that I confess: I think you're very handsome " hey, trying to find someone who thought otherwise was pretty hard in the first place.
Germany blushed as well "Thank you..."he the smiled "I guess this is how a date is actually supposed to go like "
"If I'm honest, this is my first date ever "Japan didn't know that statement was wrong, so he was being honest on his part.
"I haven't been on one since, well...the incident "Germany felt as if every nation now knew about it.
Japan giggled "You know, had you asked me, I maybe would have said yes to your proposal"
"Wait, really?" Germany asked, unsure as to why Japan made that comment.
"I had, well I still have, issues to understand certain western norms "Japan explained "If anything, I would have felt that there was no way of rejecting you and accepted. I also proposed to Italy once, when he hugged me for the first time.He didn't take responsibility for that though, so I'm still single. "
Germany chuckled "Well, at least you didn't ask him in public. But I get what you say, understanding people has never been my strength" he was pretty young, more so than most of the countries in Europe, so at times, he was still adapting to certain things.
"When I'm with you, I feel its easier " Japan said sincerely "You are more straightforward, and don't mind saying if something's wrong..." his face was slightly sadder, but he hoped Germany wouldn't notice.
Of course tho, he did. It also helped that he saw how his friend had been like last night.
"You can tell me what upset you" Germany promised "when I picked you yesterday, your eyes were wet."
Japan sighed "Italy and America...they came here a few days ago, but acted very weirdly. Both were rather cold.Italy didn't even hug me, and America was unusually quiet. " he paused "I guess my bad thoughts got the best of me, so I wanted a drink.I saw them speaking, but I think heard them saying not wanting me near them. I don't know if what I heard was true, but I was too drunk and well, ended up outside"
"They wouldn't be that rude to you"Germany promised "America considers you one of his friends, and Italy doesn't have a single rude cell in his entire body. Whatever it was, they can explain it, but they'd be idiots if they actually wanted to treat you badly.You're an amazing person, don't forget that. "
Japan smiled softly "thank you, Germany.You're a great person too"
"It was no problem" Germany said sincerely.
The rest of the date went pretty well, and they both decided to get up and leave. After a bit of persuasion, Germany agreed to let Japan pay, as he had been the one who told him to go on a date, and it would have been rude not to do so . The ride was pretty nice, as it didn't have a quiet or awkward feeling on it.
"You know, next time I will pay "Germany stated.
"You want to go on another date?" Japan asked.It was good that the blonde was a good driver.
"Of course, it was nice going with you" the european answered.It had been nice for once to have a date that went even better than originally planned.
As they arrived back to Japan's place, Germany opened the car's door for him.They were on a date after all, and it was still a nice gesture to do. While the Asian was getting off the car, he accidentally tripped and nearly fell down.
Nearly, because luckily, Germany's reflexes were quick enough to catch him before he hit the floor. Awkwardly holding him like that, it would be the perfect time to kiss him if it was some cliched American movie.Would it be correct to do so ?
Japan decided it was.Gently holding Germany's face with his hands, the raven haired slowly drew their lips together. Neither of them had eve kissed someone before, so it was new for both of them.
The kiss itself wasn't too intense.It could be considered pretty sloppy, and Japan wasn't sure of why he was impulsive enough to do that in the first place. I'm may case, it wasn't something that they hated. Slowly breaking off the kiss, Japan blushed on the deepest shade of red possible.
Germany gently helped him to get back on his feet.As Japan knew Germany wouldn't feel good asking the question due to what had happened with Italy in that restauran years ago, he knew it was up to him.
"I know it's sudden but...Germany, maybe...would you like to be my boyfriend?" He asked, looking up at the taller country.
Germany smiled "Of course I would...I mean, yes, I do". He leaned to kiss Japan yet again, as he had liked that.
With the words that had been pronounced by Japan, he had sealed the faith of lots of countries who had the bad idea of joining the bet. Not that he knew, and neither did the two idiots hiding behind the bushes.