13 - Kenny and Chase

The phone woke me up. I looked at my watch. Not even 7 am. I groaned. Who calls someone this early? I stretched over and grabbed my phone from the bedside table, noticing Brian wasn't in bed.

I looked at the caller display. Kenny. What the actual hell is he calling me so early for?

I pressed the answer button. "Kenny, what the fuck? Do you even know what time it is? I hope it's important."

"Oh girl it is SO important!" Kenny giggled. I rolled my eyes.

He continued. "You'll never guess where I was last night!"

I yawned. "Nor do I want to. Call me in a few hours."

"Oh but Marissa I will literally burst if I don't tell someone! You know that music festival Chase and I were totally dying to go to? Tickets were gone in an hour. No go for us. We were so totally bummed."

I giggled and interrupted him. "Kenny you sound like a Valley Girl. And this better be a good story."

"I am a Valley Girl darling. Anyway, Steve, you know Steve, my boss, totally straight and white bread but he's a good guy, he had back stage passes! His wife's labor started and he wanted to be there, thank God Chase and I won't have to do that --"

"Kenny!" I interrupted him. "Please get to the point."

"Oh poo you are no fun. You need to get laid darling. I know some straight men in NY. I could set -- "

"Dammit Kenny. You woke me up, I haven't had caffeine yet, and I'm losing patience with this."

"Okay sheesh, take a chill pill. So anyway, we went. And you won't ever guess who was there! The Queen herself, Madonna! I could have died! Like literally just died!"

"Did you talk to her?" Kenny has been in love with Madonna and Boy George since before I knew him.

"Oh heaven's no darling. The Queen wouldn't have any reason to be on the same planet as me, let alone talk to me. But for a few seconds we were in the same room! Breathing the same air! I have been blessed!"

Just then the front door opened and Brian came in carrying 2 grocery bags. "Hey I'm back! It's so beautiful outside, we should ... Oh! Sorry I didn't see you were using the phone."

"Who is that?" Kenny started to interrogate me. "Why is he letting himself into your apartment? O M G Marissa did you have a date? Did he spend the night? You had sex didn't you?"

He shouted, "Chase! Marissa had sex!"

"Kenny, please stop," I tried to say but he had already given the phone to Chase.

"Who is he?" Chase almost yelled into the phone. I had to pull it away from my ear.

"Nobody you know," I answered.

" Where did you meet him? What does he do? If he hurts you I will kill him."

"In the hospital, he's a musician and no he won't hurt me. Don't you have some more glory basking to do now or something?"

Brian smiled at me. "Take your time love, I'll put the food away."

"He's English? Kenny! She had sex with an English musician?"

"Oh my God, you guys I can't take it. Stop. I'm not fragile."

"Please tell me he doesn't play guitar. Please tell me he plays clarinet in an orchestra somewhere."

"Actually -"

"Put your phone on speaker so he can hear us," Chase demanded. I knew this was a bad idea but did it any way.

"They want to talk to both of us," I said, putting the phone down so we both could hear.

"Yes, I'm here," Brian said politely."

"You. Guitar player. I don't trust you. I know guitar players. Hell, I am a guitar player."

"I assure you," Brian started, "Marissa is perfectly safe."

"She better be. Are you any good anyway? At guitar?"

"Fairly good I'd say."

I covered my mouth with both hands to stop laughing.

"Well don't expect us to give you any help in this business just because you know Marissa. You have to work your way up the ladder just like everyone else!"

I couldn't take anymore without laughing. "Chase stop. He's not using me to get to you. He's happy doing what he does."

"Probably in some crappy low life bar band. Hope he has a day job. Be careful Marissa."

"I always am. Gotta go guys. Glad you met rock royalty. Must feel amazing. Talk to you soon."

I disconnected. Brian and I looked at each other and burst out laughing.