Chapter 1 - Love and Colorism

Hey, my name's Brianna. I am a 20 year old dark-skinned girl and I have become extremely self-aware since I started watching Chrissie on YouTube. Do you watch her too? I have learnt a lot from her channel and to be honest I should've been putting myself first all along .

Fortunately, until today, I was in a relationship with a colorist. He downplayed me and nothing I ever did was good enough but I took my power back! That's right, I broke up with him because he seemed to be wasting time. No gifts on Valentine's day, barely paying me any attention lately and he had the nerve to complain when I broke up with him.

I am the prize and that's how I will operate forever !

I must feel wanted and desired. I didn't have time to waste. I wanted to get married and I wanted to be taken care of.

I have won multiple scholarships, but I was overlooked for other women simply because I have darker skin and kinky hair.

I had just woken up, rubbing my eyes and turning in my purple satin sheets. I stretched then rolled out of bed . I walked slowly over to my bedroom window and opened the window to let the sun touch my dark chocolate skin.

I glowed as I stood there breathing in the fresh air. I don't want to be pretty for a dark-skinned girl anymore. I am sick and tired. I know my worth.

I wanted a life of luxury and excitement where I was celebrated and NOT tolerated. I knew I wanted to reinvent myself, but how ?

I was already good enough, but why didn't people celebrate me. I walked from the window to my small closet and gazed through the clothing.

My closet was overflowing with old clothes that I had for years. Throwing my head back, I groaned in frustration and my phone started ringing simultaneously.

I walked back over to my bed and took it up, already knowing who it was because of the catchy pop song that played when it rang.

Jessica.

My ears were met with screaming when I answered the phone.

I pulled the phone back from my ears with a questioning look on my face.What the heck was it now, Jessica ? Did you run in to an ex, buy a dog or meet a freaking celebrity ?!

"I got invited!" She squealed. There was a small but noticeable silence as I tried hard to find out how I could've made it less obvious that I had no clue what she was talking about.
To what ? By Who ? And why is she so excited?

"I got invited to the party. Justin was giving out invites in the hall remember?."

She sounded too excited about this party that this boy who was in detention almost every day of the week was throwing.

I swear he had to come to school extra early some days because the Science Teacher wanted to ensure he'd get all the detentions in and face the consequences of his actions.

"Yes, sure I remember.That's cool."I said, not wanting to seem too bored and uninterested.

These parties are usually a mixture of flirting, fashion fails, trying too hard, alcoholic beverages and sex.

I don't drink and I wasn't the least bit interested in hooking up with any one of the boys at school , because firstly, my standards were getting higher because my self-esteem was getting higher.

I was always interested in Love ABOVE all else but most of the guys at school were high-key colorists and wouldn't date me because I'm dark-skinned so I just knew who I was dealing with and kept my head held high.

I wanted someone who was going celebrate me for the Black Queen that I am!

"So you wanna come with me ?"Jessica asked and twisted my mouth to the side.

" I wasn't invited." I said and she gasped.

"Really ? "She asked and somehow I doubt she cared, I mean , she's the one who likes Justin. I couldn't stand him.

"It's OK. I don't mind I - " I started and she cut me off quickly.

"You can be my plus one."

I could hear a smile in her voice and I could've thought of a million reasons why I shouldn't go with her, but part of me - the STUPID part - was wishing I could've been a normal girl who gets invited to parties that didn't matter by boys that didn't matter just to prove to people that didn't matter that I mattered.

******************************
*Cries for validation*
******************************

The music was too loud for me to hear myself think .

Jessica had been flirting with Justin for a few minutes and we were chilling with a few of his friends.

"Thanks for not inviting me ." I joked when he had just come by with our drinks.

" Thank you for being desperate enough to still come ." He mocked harshly and my face crumpled as I looked down at the ground.

"That was a joke.Chill out , Brianna." He said laughing and I walked off.

"You're dumb."I told him. Angry and embarrassed, I headed to the bathroom . I left Jessica with him. She was my friend but I honestly didn't know what she saw in him.

He was mean and cold and also a colorist. She never said anything mean to me....well most times.

I felt a hand pull me when I neared the bathroom.

"I didn't mean it, Bri."Justin's voice came from behind me as he pulled me back .

"Let me go!" I shouted and he released my hand.

" I have something important to tell you." He said staring at me .

"Well you should have invited me to your party then! You big fool!"

"I'm not Colorist." He said trying to get me to hold his hand. "I just do it because it's what all the guys do...well most of the cool ones. I think you're a beautiful dark-skinned woman."

"I know I am."I said , folding my arms and sticking my tongue out at him.

Then in rushed Jessica , hitting him across his head and pulling around the corner as he groaned in pain.

They were gone out the door.I heard slamming followed by arguing.

I should have stayed home.

I went back to the front and took a drink from the lively bar where the kids were playing truth or dare and making out.

I was there for a few seconds before Jessica came back with a sad look on her face.

"Let's go home." She said and in no time we were in her car , surrounded by an awkward silence like never before.
She seemed like she was about to cry.
"Are you ok ?"I asked and she barely nodded.
She drove me home.
She didn't even hug me tonight before she left and I just knew that in the morning I would find out why.
__________________________________ AUTHOR'S NOTE 💜🖤👑💅🏿
____________________________________
Hey , guys. I started writing this book because I felt like this type of dark-skinned woman needed to be represented more, in every single type of media.
What do you think of the characters so far ?
Do you like Brianna ?
Is this story interesting to you so far and what are you looking forward to most in this story ? Romance, Luxury , Dark-skinned confidence, or Drama ?
💕
Looking forward to your comments and questions
💜-DarkSkinWife