Chapter 2 - Betrayal, Ex Lovers and My Evil Step-mom

Today was supposed to be a day to remember the fun memories of the party I went to with my friend last night, sadly there was nothing fun about it.

I got up out of bed ,already sad as ever, my face already bent as if I could sense the complete crap that was about to happen.

I went to my bathroom to brush my teeth. My step-mom was shouting about something in the living room down below and slowly as she got quieter , I could hear my phone beeping over and over , until it started beeping uncontrollably.

I walked briskly to take it up after brushing my teeth. I stared at over a hundred messages about Jessica.

"What did Jessica do?"

I opened the top messages.

'Jessica is FAKE.' one girl wrote,  followed by two laughing emojis.

I scrolled down and realized that I was added to a group called '/Jessica's a COLORIST🤢/'.

I know a lot of girls named Jessica....well two girls named Jessica.
I know two girls named 'Jessica', but still Jessica would NEVER. Would she ?

I clicked on the group, scrolled down and saw a video clip and I clicked on it without thinking and there she was. Jessica, my friend, saying colorist things about ME to JUSTIN at his party that SHE encouraged me to go to.

"I ONLY BROUGHT HER HERE SO I COULD STAND OUT AND BE THE FEMININE LIGHT AGAINST HER BLACKNESS BRO. WHY ARE YOU PAYING HER MORE ATTENTION THAN ME. " Jessica had shouted at him.

"I hurt her feelings and I was just trying to cheer her up."Justin said. "It wasn't a big deal."

"You called her beautiful! " She argued.

"Because she is . Why'd you bring her here if you didn't want me to talk to her."

"Because she doesn't usually get attention. She's dark-skinned and plain as ever. Girls like her have to seek out male attention to get it. Did she flirt with you ?" Jessica asked and tears ran down my eyes as I watched the video. I was crushed.

I felt like I could cry for hours . My heart was broken. How could she do this ? Was this a prank ? A joke ?

I thought she was supposed to be my friend.

I was crushed to pieces and I sat there thinking of when I could be something other than the plain dark-skinned girl who guys dismissed most times and when they did see me they only wanted to hook-up because I wasn't light enough to be considered wifey.

I NEEDED TO GET AWAY FROM THESE PEOPLE AND ANYONE THAT DIDN'T SEE ME AS THE SMART , HARD-WORKING AND SENSITIVE WOMAN THAT I WAS.

It was draining my energy, everything was draining my energy and I just wanted to be seen as the black queen that I was.

I had cried for a whole 6 hours before I heard my step-mom, Christina calling and knocking on the door.

She was a thick brown skinned woman who was mixed with black and Indian.

She didn't like me at all, but she had been here living with me and my father so she could get the life and treatment that she
"deserved". Whatever that means. Personally I feel she just stayed to make my life a living hell.

She didn't cook or clean and she was extra annoying in the mornings.

"Yes, Christina." I mumbled and she shouted back.

"Get your butt out of bed and go make breakfast. Your father's leaving in a few minutes."

I cringed. I didn't feel like doing anything today except crying my eyes out.

"I'm coming ." I said softly as I felt like my heart was constantly being broken again and again.

The air was cold and it was still snowing in New York City.  I got up and walked out the door, thinking about how I could get away from the toxicity of society and where I could go to freely love myself in peace.

I went straight to the kitchen and started washing the dishes, sadly and slowly. It felt like the world was speeding around me.

"Poopy!" I heard my little stepbrother call out at me followed by laughing and squealing.

That's what he called me and I hated it.I constantly had to tell him that my name was "Brianna and NOT "Poopy" but he insisted.

"My name's not "Poopy" , it's BRIANNA . OK , Kyle , say BRIANNA." I said already frustrated and he just laughed more and said it more.

He was about four years old and he seemed almost as mean as his mother.

"Kyle tell Poopy to stop yapping and cook the food. " Christina told her son seriously and mockingly.

I ignored her , scrubbing the pots and dishes and rolling my eyes.

Dad came in the house, looking around, and searching for something. He was a brown skinned, Black man with a faded hair cut and a beard.

"Where are my keys ? " He asked and Kyle randomly started saying ' Poopy' over and over again, laughing and hitting his cup on the table repeatedly. 

"They are right there on the table." I said and he smiled.

"Thanks."He took them up , put them in the pocket of his pants and told us goodbye.

Kyle continued saying 'Poopy', and being annoying long after dad was gone .

My ears cursed at him quietly and my stomach growled. I was hungry and also annoyed at the noise that Kyle was making.

I made breakfast for my evil step-mom and her demonic child
******************************
I hadn't heard from Jessica for days and life was getting lonely.

I couldn't stand the thought of my mother working overseas while I just stayed here bored , annoyed and unwanted by most of my peers.

She left me here to enjoy life and be extremely happy while she went to college and worked in Europe. I guess I let her go because I wanted the best for her.

I texted her, we video-chatted sometimes and it was always a fun bonding moment.

I went to the library in my neighborhood and sat there reading books about places where I could escape. Some were real places and some were not, but I didn't care. I just wanted to feel free.

I was trying to decide between going to Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory and Paris when my ex-boyfriend came in. Well he wasn't "my " anything because I no longer claimed him. I was so done.

"Hey Brianna. " He said and I buried my face deeper into the book I was reading, trying to ignore this man.

He was tall and dark-skinned and wanted to be a player so bad.

"What ?! " I asked when he insisted to talk to me.

"I'm sorry." He said and I squinted my eyes at him.

" I DON'T CARE !" I told him in an abnormally loud whisper voice.

"I don't like colorist men , date who you worship . " I told him turning the pages of my book. "I am worth more."

He walked off, after finally realizing that I was a whole new woman.

I knew dark-skinned women deserved better , so I looked into the mirror one day and realized that if I wanted to help other dark-skinned women then the first one I had to help was myself.

We deserve love and Respect.

_____________________________________________AUTHOR'S_NOTE_______

Are you enjoying the story so far ? Is it interesting ? Do you think it's calm and cool or bland and boring?

I hope you like it so far.

💜-DarkskinWife