Chapter 6: The Storm

Riley frowned to herself when she woke up from her nap to an empty room. It was the sixth time in the last two weeks they'd been in Dubai.

Tossing the comforter off, she climbs down the bunk bed, going in search of her best friend. Sadly she wasn't surprised to find her in the kitchen talking to Blaec, Thomason not too far. Everybody else was mingling around them, some cooking.

She didn't know what happened, but Maya had changed. If she was honest with herself, Maya hasn't been acting like herself in the past year. There have been times when May's lied to her about where she's going. Maya never used to lie to her. And now Maya's keeping a secret from her that everyone else seemed to know about.

She stares at the buzzing scene for a moment, her eye trailing over to Lucas and Williamson. Lucas has his arm around her waist as they talked to Farkle and Smackle.

Williamson laughs at something Smackle says, causing Lucas to lean down and kiss her on the temple.

Suddenly feeling cold, he heads up the stairs and back to her room. She didn't get it. How could her friends be okay with being around him? That should be her, not Williamson.

Climbing back into her bed, he pulls the blanket over herself. And thought back to her conversation with Maya a few weeks ago.

"Maya, you would never lie to me, right?"

"Right. I'll always tell you the truth."

"Good. What's going on between you and Thomson?"

Maya swallows, seemly frozen before she spoke. "It's Maddie Riley. Maddie, and we're close, extremely close."

Riley feels her stomach drop. "How close?"

"I would do anything for her."

"Since when?"

"A while now," Maya admits. "I'm sorry I lied to you, but I'm telling you the truth now, and I think you and Rose need to talk."

"What!? No! She's a traitor; she chose Lucas over me!"

"You made her choose, though."

Riley glares, crossing her arms. "Now I'm given you a choice; it's Thomas or me?"

"What? Riley Maddie hasn't done anything to you. She's the least involved in this situation."

"She's in Rose and Willamson's camp. And I can't have my best friend friends with someone on their side."

"Riley, there is no side."

"It's her or me."

"Riley, if you were my best friend, you wouldn't be given me that choice."

Since then, she and Maya have been somewhat rocky. They put up a good front in front of everyone else, but both of them knew the truth. Seeing Maya talk to Rose the night they arrived twisted something dark in her heart.

The door opening pulls her out of her thought.

Maya comes into the room. "Hey."

"Hey," Riley tries for a smile, but the look on Maya's face told her she failed. "What's going on?"

"Everyones tired from the water park, so since it's that last night here, Zay actually suggested we have dinner on the beach. Are you going to join?"

Riley tosses her comforted off. "Sure."

Maya blinks a little before grinning. "Really?"

"Yeah."

"Okay, let's go. Everyone is already headed for the beach."