Chapter 12

WARNING : THERE ARE MENTIONS OF A MISCARRIAGE IN THIS CHAPTER. READ ON YOUR OWN RISK AND IF IT IS TRIGGERING THEN SKIP IT PLEASE. AND TISSUE ALERT :(

=====================

Zayn stood with his forehead pressed to the window, his whole body shaking continuously as tears fell down his cheeks in a constant stream. Harry paced restlessly around the room, pausing every now and then to pat Zayn's back and speak in low, reassuring murmurs.

But Zayn barely heard him. The sheer intensity of anguish and guilt that flooded him made his knees weak and was nearly enough to send him crumpling to the floor. His body shook visibly and his head hurt from the constant crying. Little sobs escaped him every now and then as the image of Liam lying in his own blood popped in before his eyes. He wiped his face with his sleeve and was immediately claimed by a fresh deluge of tears.

"Zayn," Harry's whisper made him turn around just in time to see an average heighted man dressed from head to toe in black stepping out of the bedroom, closing the door softly behind himself. The man had a hooked nose and lank blonde hair that fell nearly to his shoulders. His skin was pale and sallow and his eyes, blue and depthless, were uncharacteristically sympathetic as he approached Zayn.

Wiping away the fresh tears, Zayn stepped forward at once. "Niall," he spoke urgently, his voice thick with tears. "Niall, please, is he alright?"

"Your Omega is not in mortal danger, Mr. Malik," Niall Horan replied calmly and then indicated to the sofa. The three men made their way over and take a seat, Harry quietly putting together three cups of tea from the tray that had been laid out.

"What happened to him?" Zayn asked desperately. Niall looked hesitant, eyeing Zayn's reddened eyes and trembling lip, exchanging a quiet look with Harry before sighing.

"He's suffered a miscarriage, Mr. Malik," he said tentatively.

The whole room went blurry before Zayn's eyes though it was not entirely because of the tears that welled up. His breath whooshed out of him in a loud gasp and he sagged back in his chair as though the very life had been sucked out of him.

"Oh my god," he sobbed, raising one hand to his forehead and beginning to cry desperately into it, his whole body shaking with grief. "Oh, Liam... Oh my darling, precious, what have I done?!"

Harry was instantly by his side, kneeling by his feet and shaking him by the shoulder. "Zayn," he said roughly. "Don't you dare blame yourself for this. Zayn, look at me. Look at me, mate." He dragged away Zayn's hand and held his wrist in a tight grip. "I cannot even begin to think what you're going through, but I will not let you sit here and blame yourself," he said fiercely, shaking the Alpha once more by his shoulder.

"You don't understand," Zayn sobbed, his face wet with tears. "We—we fought, we had an argument before I... I left. He was really, really upset and I should have stayed back and consoled him but I left and that must have distressed him even further and led to... led to this," he covered his face with both hands and wept uncontrollably into them, the guilt a hundred times worse now that he remembered how he'd walked out. "It ismy fault, Harry, it's all my fault."

"No," Harry said desperately. "It's not – you didn't know. Nobody even knew the poor kid was pregnant..."

"Mr. Styles is right, Mr. Malik," Niall spoke softly from his seat. "Although it might have been a factor, I don't think that your fight would have been nearly traumatic enough to have caused the miscarriage. I'm fairly certain of the cause."

Zayn looked up at the older man, his eyes puffy and streaming. "What was the cause?" he asked, his voice hoarse.

"As you probably already know, male Omega pregnancies have always been considered tricky and rare," Niall said slowly. "Although the male Omegas are all innately equipped to carry children, it's still difficult for them to actually conceive, simply because they are male and their bodies are not as naturally fertile as a female Omega. Your husband, however," Niall paused. "Seems to be incredibly fertile for a male Omega, and he will remain so," Niall hurried to add, nodding reassuringly. "This miscarriage has not, in any way, impaired or diminished his fecundity, Mr. Malik," he gave the young Alpha a small smile.