Determined To Live.

Summary - James is six weeks old and Harry has been avoiding dangerous missions at work. How will he react when he's called to action with no choice but to join the fight and leave his wife and newborn son behind?

****

Harry Potter couldn't remember a time he felt love like this. He'd felt love of course, he felt it so strong every time he looked at his wife. He felt love when he laughed with his friends and celebrated with his family. But this was something else. Gazing into the deep brown eyes of the tiny infant curled in his arms gave Harry a feeling he'd never felt before.

Harry had always made it his mission in life to protect those closest to him, he'd give his life if it meant the ones he loved could survive. But since becoming a father, Harry realised that he'd not only give his life for his son, but also that he'd destroy anyone who tried to harm his child in any way. He knew he wasn't alone. He didn't have to ask his wife, Ginny, what lengths she'd go to, to protect their son.

Ginny kept little James in her sights at all time. The only time James was not in view of her, was when Harry had him. It wasn't that Ginny didn't trust her family or friends with her son, it was simply that Ginny was very aware her husband still had enemies. Harry was also very aware of this, meaning he tended to be what some people might call too overprotective.

Since the birth of James Sirius Potter, Harry had declined nearly every mission at work that would mean Harry had to leave his family for more than a few hours. Instead he'd simply sit at his desk and do paperwork. He'd even work from home when he was able, which was quite frequently, considering he was one of, if not the best Auror that their department had seen in years. That was until Harry recieved an urgent owl from his boss demanding he join a team of Aurors on the field.

It was around five thirty in the evening when Harry recieved the owl. He sat around the dinner table in the kitchen of his wife's childhood home. The entire Weasley family and the Potter's gathered in the Burrow for Molly Weasley's famous monthly feast. Once a month the family gathered together on a Sunday afternoon and had dinner together. It had become tradition. Harry sat between his wife and his brother in law George Weasley, when they heard a sharp tapping on the kitchen window. Mrs Weasley opened the window to let the owl in and removed the rolled up envelope from the owl's outstretched leg. After a piece of pie crust from Mrs Weasley, the owl took off again.

"It's for you, Harry." Mrs Weasley said with a furrowed brow.

Harry looked at the Weasley matriarch with confusion. Harry hadn't recieved any mail at the Burrow for years. All his post went to his own house. Harry took the letter from Mrs Weasley and his heart began to race when he saw the Ministry symbol stamped on the front of the envelope.

"It must be urgent if its come here." Bill Weasley said, peering over at Harry.

Harry couldn't bring himself to open the letter. He knew full well what was inside the envelope. It was time. He was needed on the front lines. Harry looked at Ginny, who watched him carefully, and then down at the sleeping baby cradled against her chest.

"It's okay, Harry." Ginny said, reaching for his hand.

"I'll open it at home." Harry decided. He quickly shoved the letter in his pocket and forgot about it.

The family meal continued as though no interruption had occurred. Harry even forgot about the letter sitting in his pocket, until Ginny suggested they get home to put James to bed.

*

Harry sat on the edge of the bed, the unopened letter gripped firmly by his shaking hands. Ginny had left to put James to bed. James had been fussy since Harry recieved the letter, almost as if he knew his father would have to leave.