Chapter 4: F is for a so called Friend

She lay on the floor, not knowing what to do with the information she was just force fed. Who was this Nova? Who was this Tera? Where can she find them? Her mind flooded as she thought deeply. At this moment, she realised nothing was the same anymore. She understood how she is no longer blinded by the sugar coated cage her parents had built for her, but now she needs a strategy to get out.

While plotting and scheming on her back, deep in thought, she knew that she needed the truth, whole truth, right from the horse's mouth, her parents.

But how on earth will I do that? They're obviously not just gonna tell me the truth after years of lying.

THAT'S IT! I NEED EVIDANCE! This made her spring into an upright sit.

She racked her head as to where she would obtain it, her forehead veins pumped as she felt as though she was going to lose her mind. She felt like she was going crazy. She spun her head toward the window, which made her notice the small pile of papers left scattered on her bed. That was it. That was her evidence. She jumped to her feet to drop herself on the bed on her stomach, reaching for the pile.

Just as she was picking the files up, her best friend walked through the door behind her, she turned to look at her best friend, who looked extremely concerned.

Honey.... are you okay? I just saw the messages and rushed straight over.

I.. Emily I feel like I'm going crazy.

She turned to sit before Emily, facing her. She was so happy to see her, and wanted to tell her everything, but at the same time, she felt a choking feeling in her throat, as if she was afraid of being judged, or even just afraid of sounding completely mad.

What is it, Ivy? She walked over to Ivory's bed, setting her handbag down and making eye contact with her, in attempts to reassure her that she could tell her anything and she will never be judged.

I believe that my parents have been lying to me about who they are... and most importantly about who I am...  She finally spoke, slowly, looking into Emily's eyes, praying she doesn't think she's mad.

Oh my god, what made you think that?

Well, to begin with, my DNA test was forged. That was the first time she has said that out loud, and it hurt her more than she had thought it would. She felt her trust was betrayed, which pierced her heart.

How did you find that out? Have you spoken to them yet?

Not yet... I don't even know how to confront them about it. It wasn't right for me to go through their stuff but, this is huge, and I had a right to know.

Well... maybe they hid it for a reason.

... What? Ivory was confused, was she really defending her parents for hiding this massive secret from her, something she had broken down over, something that made her go into depression.

I can't believe that you honestly just said that... You know how much of a massive issue this was.

Under no circumstance am I saying it was not a big deal. She took Ivory's hand in hers.

I found all this other stuff that I don't know how to decrypt, seems to be in a different language.

The thought of this made Emily quite clearly uncomfortable. This confused Ivory a little.

What's wrong Emily?

I... I can't help you with that, I don't think it's okay to snoop through someone else's stuff.

Ivory jumped to her feet when she heard this.

What? What are you talking about? I already found the stuff, I can't just put them back and pretend nothing ever happened. And I really need you right now, I can't speak to anyone about this.

I know, I feel terrible...

Emily tried to stand up to reassure and comfort her, but it wasn't working very well.

Wait you're actually not going to help me? Ivory said, with a confused, surprised and annoyed expression all suppressed into a sarcastic laugh.

I can't believe you.

Please don't be like that.

No, Emily. It's not okay! You claim to be my best friend but I tell you one of the scariest things that I have found out, and you literally ignore it. Why is my parents privacy more important than the fact that they're lying.

Ivory tried to hold back the tears as she looked at Emily, who was looking directly at the floor, gently pulling her hair behind her ear.

You know what, maybe you're right. Maybe you can't help me, how could you possibly help me when you have no idea what this means to me.

Ivory... I-

I don't really want to hear it, please leave.

What?

You heard me, leave. I'm good from here, I'm going to find this out with it without you, and you have clearly made your choice.

Emily shook her head in pain, walking back to the bed to grab her handbag, and turn to the door.

I'm sorry, Ivy. She said, as she was about to walk out of the room.

Yeah. Me too.

With that, Emily walked through the door.

Ivory waited until she heard her friend walk all the way down the stairs and close the front door. She grabbed a pillow from her bed and threw it across the room, then dropping to the floor in a curdled position.

Outside the manner, Emily was rushing down the steps, after having exited the doors. She grasped her phone, diling a foreign number and calling it.

I wish to reach guardians Ethan and Alya. It's about Athena. She declared, as she turned back to look at Ivory's window one last time before leaving.

Tell them it's urgent.

———

About an hour had passed, and ivory decided she was going to approach this problem head on and rationally. She knew she couldn't do this with no energy and her parents were about to return, so she decided to head to the infamous cafe and try to run over her speech, maybe research some stuff about the clippings that she found while she still had the chance.

And with that she got off the floor, got changed into a tight black turtleneck tee and some dark denim ripped jeans, grabbed her laptop as well as the papers from her bed, dashing it all into a leather bag, and headed for the cafe.

The walk was filled with her having conversations with herself in her head. She didn't feel like herself at all today, she felt troubled, and rightly so. She was feeling as if her whole world was turning upside down and she had no idea how to stop it.

The walk included a small narrow road through the suburban forest that surrounded her house for about half a mile. Ivory was so concentrated on her own problems that she missed the same mysterious black rover once again, didn't hear it stop, didn't hear the strong, 'slightly taller then her' dude exit the car and slam door shut, and most definitely didn't hear him sneaking up behind her with his hand over her mouth, trying to make her pass out as he dragged her over to the car and shoved her into the back seat while she passed out.