Chapter 6: Not every lie has short legs

She jolted her head straight to her bed where the cluster of papers lay. She felt her heart drop, not having time to put them back to their place, hearing her parents set their suitcases.

She sprinted across the fluffy carpet, from the window to the bed and yanked the papers off it, stuffing them under it, before jumping to her feet and power walking to the door. She opened it, with a guilt in her heart, almost guilty for having discovered the truth. Almost guilty for the fact that she knows what she's felt in her bones for years, but the most painful thing about the whole endeavour was that she shouldn't be the one who's guilty for finding out. This is her parents mess, they hid this from her, and ... Why?

She had so many questions. She didn't even know where to begin. It hit her so hard, and she felt her face begin to tingle, all of the senses preparing for the apocalyptic breakdown that's about to follow. She just couldn't comprehend how the two people, who she thought would never break her heart, but rather be there to pick up the pieces, have done the unthinkable.

With a burst of courage, she opened the door, and set her foot in the hallway, prepared for every card to be set out on the table.

Ivy..? Can you come down please sweetheart?

Like clockwork, her mother's light voice called her to the foyer, and she followed it, ready for everything. She walked down the stairs, with her dear parents standing stiff, like portraits, at the bottom of the stair case. Her father with his hands behind his back, while her mother with hers to the front, dressed in perfect white.

She watched them, and the only thing she could think was how would it feel, to live here, to see them, to know that they are not her parents, but mostly to have no more secrets. Is their relationship going to change?

Before she knew it, she reached the bottom step, and there was nothing between her and the truth, but a sheet of air.

I think we should start off by saying, that we will always be here for you, and we will always support you and be right beside you in any decisions that you're going to take after you find out that we've got to say. Her father broke the silence between them.

Ivy... Her mother placed her hand on her shoulder, guiding her to the sitting room.

I think it would be a good idea for us to take a seat, we have a lot of explaining to do.

They reached the couch. Her mother sat beside her on the left and her father on the right. Her mother took her hand and lightly pushed Ivy's chin up. It was a thing that her mother would do since she was young to make her feel like she should face everything with grace, and it made her smile. The loving look in her mothers eyes never perished, and she smiled at her in return.

Honey. You are so special. In so many ways. You have always been the perfect daughter and we will always be your parents.

But, your specialness, it's much more complex than that. Much deeper than that. Her father added, as she tuned to look at him.

Sweetie, remember when you cried about getting a DNA test, well...

He was silenced my his own hurt, he wished he would never have to do this but he know the day would come.

Alya leaned over Ivy while hugging her head to lean on her shoulder, and with the other hand she held her husbands.

Baby, you might always be our daughter, but we are not your biological parents. Her mother helped.

I know. She blurted, while wiping a runaway tear.

You... how? Her dad asked.

I, had a vision.

She looked at her parents with fear they wouldn't comprehend what she just confessed, but they looked at each other, as if to say 'it's finally happened'.

I've been having a lot of weird out of body experience lately, actually. But the scariest... is this complete blinding light, which makes my arm vibrate. It sounds weird, but it's the only way I can explain it.

I think we can.

Your blood.. it's.. not human.

Alya tried to explain, slowly, looking at Ivy for confirmation that she was following, but she just stared blankly.

Ivy, although you look human, and you feel like a human, you are much more powerful than them, you are Devine, it's in your blood. It has outlived its human body, it wants you, well, it needs you, to Ascend.

To, what?

To Ascend, sweet heart. Take your mother's side.

Nova..?

She paused for a second.

Does that mean I have to leave you two. She said as her voice broke and tears started streaming from her face.

Honey, no.. The only reason we are here is because of you, and we will never leave you. We have raised you because it was our duty, and order, but we love you, and always will.

Alya smiled again, wiping Ivory's tears away.

Wait, order? Duty? I don't understand.

We are what they call guardians. We are among the first angels to walk the land, this gave us a high rank within the Council, including being close advisors of the Goddess herself, your true mother.

So, my mother's a goddess?

Yes, and she appointed us to raise you away from the grasp of your father, the rest of the story will come from her, as she ordered. We are to take you to the Council tomorrow.

I think you should go up and take all of this in, maybe pick out some things to pack.

Okay...

She picked herself up and began walking to her room. She didn't know how to feel, because she knows she will never lose her parents, but they're not her parents.

She wants to become herself, and she's been feeling like there was a part of her that's been wanting to come out, which was why she's felt so different and secluded, her whole life. But, how could someone not even know their own name.

She zoned out, and walked, until she reached her door. She opened it, closed it, and turned, and was slapped back into reality when she saw who was waiting for her in her room.

What are you doing here? How did you get into my room?