Chapter 7: Welcome home.

The sight of the mountain captivated her. It stood tall, hovering over the Mediterranean sea. The combination of glimmering turquoise and white wash infiltrated the sand, dancing with it. With half an hour till' dusk, she placed her head in her hand, slanted against the slightly cranked window of the car, inhaling the salty air. She took the moment in, knowing this was finally it. This was the moment that had kept her up all night and and this would be the reason her whole world would be turned upside down. The strange part, however, being that the only thing in the back of her conscience what he said. She can't stop thinking about it.  

'Please, don't scream.'

He looked sweaty and in shock, which confused her.

'What on earth do you mean don't scream?! What are you doing here?' She questioned him, in an irritated, yet whispering tone.

That's when she looked down at his hand covered in blood, shielding his abdomen. His shirt was torn, revealing a fresh wound. He looked like he had been stabbed. She felt faint for a minuet, noticing his blood soak deeper into the weaving of his shirt and the fabric of his jeans. 

'Zayn.' She managed to mutter, mortified, walking towards him.

'What happened?'

'He happened.'

'But why would he do this to you?'

'He knows I'm hiding something from him, he can feel it. I came here as fast as I could because I needed to warn you. Your my responsibility now, and revealing all of this to you practically puts you in danger. I need to take you some place safe-

He took Athena's arm, about to turn before she interrupted him.

'Zayn...' He turned, confused. 'You don't need to protect me. I won't be around for long.' 

'What do you mean? Where are you going?'

'I'm going to Olympus.' She blurted.

'You're going to meet mo-' He inhaled with pain. 'Your mother?' 

'Yes. My Guardians are taking me. She wants to see me Zayn.' She explained, with a an overwhelming intimidating feeling.

'Fine. I guess you don't need me anymore.'

'Wait, what?' She said confused as he turns towards her window.

'I guess you can protect yourself. And I have to do it by myself.'

'Zayn? Where are you going? You're hurt.'

'Stop acting like you care Athena, you don't even know me.'

He said harshly, with a circular swoosh of a hand and a twist of a wrist, opening an amber portal, which shocked her. She didn't know he could do that.

'Zayn-'

He didn't even look at her, just exited. It shattered her. A deep feeling of guilt which she barely understood took over her. She knew it was weird, he was a guy who went came to her school, saw in the coffee shop, kidnapped her then broke into her room yet she felt like she did something wrong. She felt like she had offended him, and it made her stay awake all night. Why did he warn her? Who was he? Who is Zayn?

The car bounced on it's tiers due to a sole rock on the dirt road which cut her flashback short. The car started to move. She unlocked her phone to look at the time, which revealed that dusk will finally commence in two minuets. She looked up from her screen to the windshield, noticing the peak of the mount approaching. It finally clicked, she's terrified to meet her mother. 

Her leg began to bounce uncontrollably. She tried to press her leg down with her palm, which only stopped the bouncing temporarily. Alya looked over toward her, noticing how uncomfortable she was. She squeezed her palm, and raised her chin.

'It's going to be okay. I'm right behind you.'

Athena smiled, feeling some of her strength come back to her, and just then, the car stopped. And there it stood, on the peak. The sun sunk deeper into the weaves, emitting a golden glow. Evan exited the car first, followed by Alya and lastly Athena.

The final quarter of sun held on to the water surface, pleading not to depart. She looked to the reflecting water, as the formation of a brighter glow caught her eye, travelling across the surface until it could be seen no more. She raised her head, looking for the trail of glow, finding it intensifying on the peak before her, slowly manifesting into three angels hand in hand. Their wings spread majestically, and their song echoed in her ears, pulling her closer to them.

She walked forth, followed by her guardians, closer to the peak. 

'What is it you seek?'

Spoke one of the angels as she stood before them. 

'We have brought the daughter of Nova.' Declared Evan behind her.

The angels, hand in hand, wielding the blinding core, broke their bond and turned to face the girl. Their eyes, pure white, looked into her soul, before they kneeled to her in unison.

'Hail Athena.'

And they turned to light, creating a bridge to Olympus, so bright it looked like daylight once more. She walked toward the shining structure of marble, illuminated by the light of the bridge yet still looking empty. Her first step on it, however, revealed her foot vanishing before her eyes, and that's when she realised the real Olympus was cloaked to look like an empty structure. Passing through the cloak revealed bright marble palace, decorated with silver and gold neo-classical ornaments. They entered into a grand hallway, with guards standing at each door of the hallway. 

She regarded the place, amazed at the architecture, missing the beautiful blue eyed curly hired woman walking through the doors from the left. 

'Athena...'

She spoke softly, making Athena turn to her, and making their eyes meet for the first time. The first thing she noticed about her mother is how much she looked like her, almost like a replica of her. Her porcelain skin, her deep raven hair, the eyes of the ocean. She smiled at her, emitting a motherly warmth which she connected with in an instant. Tears began to stream down her cheeks, and she hugged her daughter close and tight enough to feel her hear beat.

'My child. My daughter.'

They both cried uncontrollable happy tears. She was terrified of not connecting with her true mother, she was terrified that she wouldn't love her. But now that she's in her arms she doesn't ever want to leave. Although she loved her parents deeply, the hole in her heart that she had always felt but never understood was finally fulfilled.

'Welcome home, my love.'