three

SEPTEMBER

It was saturday, so my dad and his band had a show tonight. His friends usually showed up a couple hours before to practice, but no one came today. I guess they would meet later at the bar. I was happy to not see Brandon. I was still embarrassed about dropping the popcorn a couple nights ago on Tuesday. He hasn't been around the house at all since then. Dad said it was because he was busy with work when Brandon didn't show up to practice, but I knew it was due to me. I must have annoyed him a little more than usual.

If Brandon stayed away, I was always the reason.

It was cold when we were getting into the car, colder than how September should feel. I pulled the sweater sleeves over my hands and hugged them to my chest. The white sweater was a little tight on me and there was a gap between it and my blue jeans. I didn't get new clothes a lot. Not because I didn't want to, but Opal hated shopping almost as much as my dad. Come to think of it, I only got cute things from my dad's many girlfriends. This sweater was from Katie, who had gotten it for me last Christmas. They broke up a month later, but she still cuts my hair sometimes. She was my favorite out of all his girlfriends, five in total since my mom, and 4 of those in the last two years. I knew he was still in love with her, but if they wanted to be together, they would. 

Speaking of girlfriends, Brandon's would be there tonight at the show. 

I knew this because she came to every one. She's never missed one actually, in the three years they've been together and the band being started. Her presence annoyed me more than going to school. Dad made me sit with her too. Her name was Amy. Amy Love Anderson. It sounded straight out of a romance movie, and the main characters were her and Brandon.

Ew.

When we got to the bar, Dad parked around back and the band was waiting to be let in at the doors. I didn't even have one foot out of the door before I saw Brandon and Amy kissing. She had him pushed against the brick wall and his hand was in her back pocket. I kept glancing at them as I got a guitar out of the truck. Jimmy noticed me staring and made a disgusted face and pointed towards them. I laughed loudly and Brandon looked at me. His smile fell and he glared at me. He pushed Amy away and pushed aside the bouncer when he opened the door immediately after I laughed.  

I looked at the door uncomfortably. Whenever Brandon was mad at me, it made me sad. What had I done to make him hate me so much? 

Did I look repulsive? I must be a green, eight eyed monster with how he treated me.

I grabbed the ends of my dark hair looked at it. It was so long, almost to my stomach. I liked my hair, and I liked my eyes. They were light blue. Dad said I was funny. Opal said I was sweet. Brandon is never happy, never smiling. Maybe at band practice when I'm not around. He just has a problem with every little thing. Not my problem. 

Opal said I had a crush on him. I don't think I did. I hated him. I hated how how he was mean. I hated his dark eyes and curly hair. I hated how big and strong he was. I hated how I couldn't look away when he played the drums because he looked so happy, so serious and smart. I hated how I wanted to kiss him every time he showed up to my house, especially in the suits he had to wear to work.

My heart was beating so fast. It happened every time we made eye contact. Dad and the rest of the band went through the doors after Brandon with their equipment. I followed, and waited for Amy to go in before me since I had to stay with her the whole time anyway.

"Hey Blue!" She smiled. I cringed on the inside, but smiled back. "Hi... Amy."

 We walked through the dark hallway and my Dad and Brandon went on the stage. Amy and I sat at a small table in the front and she immediately looked up at Brandon and stared at him and my Dad goofing around with a grin on her face. "Your Dad and him are just so funny!! Don't you think?"