03

Jacqueline

"Where's your sweater?" my mother asked me as I walked into the kitchen. I bit my bottom lip as I sat down at the kitchen table and opened up my Biology notebook.

"What sweater?" I fibbed as I pulled out my blue ink pen.

"Child don't play dumb with me, I saw you walk out that door with that cardigan you begged me to buy you. Now where is it?" she questioned again in a sterner tone as she stirred whatever was in the pot before her.

"Uhm, well somebody threw it in a bin today when I wasn't looking and well..." I pulled out the ruined jacket out of my bag. She let out a tired sigh and grabbed it from my hands.

"White people." she muttered as she shook it out in the trash can and took it with her. I then focused on the homework in front of me and tried to push out the thoughts until I heard the phone ring. I rolled my eyes and got up from my spot and answered it.

"Clark residence Jacqueline speaking?" I knew it was too formal of a greeting, especially since the only calls here were from Dustin or Susan.

"Hey Jacqueline," I recognized Ponyboy's voice and arched an eyebrow as if he could see me. I then remembered everybody in town owns a phone book. I heard shouts from outside the phone and pitied him. Dustin's parents are always fighting, but these shouts didn't really sound angry. More shrieks of laughter if anything.

"Mhm?" I hummed.

"I was just wonderin' when you wanted our next studyin' to be?" he inquired.

"Well, I could use some help studyin' for the vocabulary pop quiz Monday. My friend the period 'fore me was telling me how he assigned one for them. He must've ran out of time for our class." I said,

"We could study at the library or my house if you'd like. I know North side is far away from the library since it's in the South side."

"How'd you know I'm from the North side?" he asked.

"Ain't that where all the greasers live, sorry if I come across rude I just assumed." I finished off, trying to catch my seemingly mean comment.

"No I do live there, uh yeah I'll come to your house if that's alright."

I exchanged my address with him and we made a plan for him to come over tomorrow, Saturday at 2 o'clock.

***

I was tying my hair up in a high ponytail when I heard a knock at the door. I glanced at my clock on my wall, 2:03 read back to me. I practically ran downstairs, knowing one of my siblings would definitely get to the door first if I didn't hurry. (They both have bedrooms on the 2nd floor, mines on the 3rd.)

"We don't know a Jacqueline, right Vanessa?" I heard my older brother lie to Ponyboy and I sighed running down the steps.

"Yep, never met one." my younger sister shrugged, about to close the door in his face, but I managed to push past the two of them.

"Would you two stop that bit? It got old when you did it the 3rd time to Dustin." I eyed the two of them as Ponyboy watched.

"She's just jealous." Vanessa teased,

"Mhm." Shawn finished off. I gave the two of them an eye roll as they left the front living room. What in the hell would I be jealous of?

"Sorry about them, uhm come in." I smiled to him and he nodded as I opened up the screen door for him. We went and sat down at my dining room table. I pulled out my bag and rummaged through it,

"I made flash cards on the March sisters personality's, could you quiz me on 'em?" I asked, finally finding the box. He nodded, taking them and seemed kind of impressed as he flicked through the cards.

"Er- what was one of Amy's flaws?" he interrogated me. I bit the inside of my cheek, racking my brain,

"Oh uhm she was shallow and conceited." I said and he nodded.

***

"You work a lot harder than anybody else in that class." Ponyboy mumbled, flicking through my essay. I smiled and blushed ever so slightly,

"Uhm thanks Ponyboy, but I don't think that's true." I said in a light hearted tone,

"I mean it is, but you can think what you want." he shrugged setting down the stack of stapled together papers. I smiled softly at him and he returned it grabbing his bag.

"I'll see you around Ponyboy." I led him through my house towards my door, careful to avoid my siblings rooms.

"Yeah, see ya Jacqueline." he smiled again and left through the front door. I know I shouldn't have, but I couldn't help but think of his smile. Although I'd obviously never say that out loud, Susan would never let me hear the end of it.

Ponyboy

I walked out of Jacquelines house and felt the early fall heat hit my face, her house was rich people cool. Like where it was a comfortable temperature, but a cool breeze every once in a while. I wondered how popular she'd be if she was white, her parents must make some good kind of money, she was pretty, and even if she'd never admit it she was real smart. Worked hard too. I wasn't lyin' when I said she worked harder than anybody. I ain't ever seen a socs or greaser write a 9 page essay when the mandatory was 4. I walked down the sidewalk and the thoughts of Jacqueline stayed persistent in my mind, even if I willed them to leave. She sure was somethin', that's for sure.