12

Ponyboy

Jacqueline.

Jacqueline.

Jacqueline.

I thought about her while I was sitting at my desk, trying to do my history homework. She had to cancel our usual homework session today, her moms friend was coming over for the afternoon and she apparently hadn't had the best time with white people. Which is understandable, most of us ain't too nice to colored people. I would've offered for her to come to my house, but I don't want her to see my house. Even if she was black, her house was nice and expensive. Always clean too, she had marble counter tops and even her ice chest seemed classy. I end up thinking of Jacqueline more and more lately and less and less as a friend. I leaned back in my chair, what did I want with Jacqueline? I definitely have a crush on her, that parts obvious. I think about her the same way Soda would talk about Sandy before they started dating. Soda would ramble on and on about how she winked at him when he was handing her her change. How pretty her eyes were in the sunlight and how gorgeous her hair was, he put it as 'looks like it's made of gold.' I think relentlessly about how Jacqueline acts and looks. Maybe I even over  think about it. I notice a lot of little things about her, the way her bottom lip puffs out a little when she's thinkin'. How she gets frustrated when she can't figure out an answer to a problem, but never whines about it and how she especially looks pretty when we walk to her house after school 'cause the suns usually out and when she's in direct sunlight she looks like she could be a supermodel. What was I goin' to do 'bout my feelings though? Halloween was the perfect opportunity, but I missed it. I told her after school what we were doing on Halloween, she didn't seem fazed honestly. I sighed, I had to think of somethin'. Plus, if she ever said no it'd be easy to avoid her out of embarrassment. I don't even tutor her anymore, we just do homework in the same room and talk. I left my history homework behind, I'd do it later and I began to think, how to ask a girl who gets jumped for the amount of melanin in her skin? What a sorry sucker I am.

Jacqueline

I was in the den, watching The Andy Griffith Show when my sister yelled,

"Hey Jackie a boys on the phone for ya!" I blushed deeply jumping up from my spot on the couch and racing upstairs to wherever she was. There was only one boy that wasn't Dustin who talked to me and he had greenish grey eyes. Ponyboy hadn't ever called here since the day my cardigan got ruined. I know I shouldn't have, but I got my hopes up. He would've just talked to me at school if he wanted to make a random homework session.

"Who is it?" I asked her, she shrugged tossing the phone to me. I grabbed it and brought it up to my ear.

"Hello?"

"Hey Jacqueline." I smiled, twisting the phone cord around my fingers.

"Hey Ponyboy, what's up?" I asked, just like our previous phone call their was tons of chaos I could hear coming from his house.

"I was wonderin' if you wanted to hang out sometime?" 

"Oh yeah sure! Like not homework yeah?" he chuckled,

"Yeah, tomorrow night they're playing Rebel Without A Cause at Sycamore park. You wanna go with me?" 

"Yeah! Totally! When?" 

"About an hour after the sun goes down, can I come by at 7:30?"

"Yeah! Sounds good." We closed up the conversation and I hung up the phone. 

"What the hell does hang out mean?" I mumbled walking to my room, Susan would probably know, but she'd get ideas and make it more than it probably is. I flopped on my bed, I needed to think. I was going to see a movie. At night. With a cute boy. Dear Lord let it be a date and not just as friends. Oh my God what if I sounded too eager? What if he changes his mind and doesn't want to hang out tomorrow night? My head swam with questions, I was thinking too hard now. I sighed going downstairs to go bug my Mom and her friend, that'd at least busy me.

authors note:

sorry this ones so short lmfao i want to save the hang out/date for the next chapter lmfao