22

authors note:  mybabydallaswinston is the reason this story is continuing, please follow them :)

Jacqueline

"Jacqueline" I looked up from my spot in the library to see Ponyboy walking over. Of course I was at the hidden table in the back. I'd began sitting there more often, every time I did somehow one of my friends (or boyfriend) would wander over and we'd talk. Sometimes it was Susan skipping gym, Dustin extending his bathroom break, or Ponyboy taking extra long to find a book for a class.

"Yeah?" I whisper yelled as he sat down in the seat next to me.

"Are you alright?" he asked me, I nodded.

"Yeah why wouldn't I be?" I responded. He looked at me with serious concern, as if I had broken my arm or something.

"Do ya got any scars?" I arched an eyebrow,

"What are you talkin' about?" I asked, he grabbed my face and tilted it from side to side.

"Are you high?" I asked him, he shook his head.

"No I was just makin' sure Curly didn't hurt ya or somethin'." he said, letting go and looking at me, still sort of studying me. I looked at him quizzically, 

"Who's Curly?" I asked, he was acting crazy. 

"The guy who hit ya last Tuesday after school. He's Tim Shepard's younger brother." I arched an eyebrow, but then remembered. To be honest I'd forgotten about it for the most part, I only got a scar on my rib cage and with going to my cousins house in Michigan for Thanksgiving I got too swept away in fun that it sort of drifted out of my mind. Besides, wasn't the first time a guy had gotten too handsy with me, white people think they can do whatever they want to colored people. Especially white men, they think of themselves as gods.

"Oh, yeah I'm okay you don't gotta worry." I said, I was touched that he cared, but kind of confused how he knew. He nodded and kissed my cheek chastely,

"I gotta get back to class, I don't even think Mrs.Hammond saw me leave. That ladies blind as a bat," he told me and I nodded laughing a bit,

"You wanna come over Wednesday? Only my brothers gonna be home," I asked, he stood up,

"Yeah sounds good doll."

***

"Are you sure that's how you're supposed to do it?" Shawn asked me as I stacked a step stool on top of a chair. I was attempting to steal Vanessa's necklace, but she had strategically placed it at the top shelf. I wasn't sure how she got it up there, she's shorter than me by 2 inches.

"How else?" I responded jokingly, a hint of sass in my voice. He just chuckled as I climbed onto the step stool and then bounced onto my tip toes. I teetered forwards and managed to snatch it. I smiled in satisfaction. I stepped down from the step stool-chair combo and clipped it around my neck. It was gorgeous, a real sapphire necklace. It matched my dark blue crew neck perfectly.

"I don't see the point of gettin' all dolled up for this kid." Shawn said as I took the step stool off.

"And why is that?" I asked,

"'Cause he's ugly," he said like it was obvious, I squinted my eyes at him.

"Ponyboy isn't ugly," I mumbled, looking at my reflection in Vanessa's room. He wasn't ugly in the slightest, Shawn was wrong.

"He's your boyfriend ain't he?" he asked me, I turned around.

"No way," I lied as if it was the most absurd thing I'd ever heard in my life. He rolled his eyes,

"Yeah alright, whatever." he said, leaving Vanessa's room. I mocked him as he left in the mirror,

"Yeah alright, whatever." I repeated, making my voice low and annoying. I snickered at my own joke and left Vanessa's room too. Ponyboy would be here any minute.

Ponyboy

"You wanna go walk around town?" I asked her, we were sitting in her living room with nothing really to do. She looked at me like I belonged in a psych ward,

"I mean yeah I'd like to, but are you crazy?" she responded, her brows knit together as she looked at me.

"What do ya mean?" I asked, I was playing stupid. I knew exactly why. She looked at me unimpressed,

"You're not an idiot Ponyboy I don't gotta spell it out for ya," she said, setting her head on my shoulder and flicking through her channels. I felt my face get hot and my ears were probably as pink as bubble gum. I didn't mind her head resting there, not at all really. 

"Are you sure you're alright?" I asked as she flipped from the news to I Love Lucy, referencing Curly. I saw a smile break out onto her face and she looked up at me. I'd already asked probably a million times ever since I got to her house, I was probably being annoying, but it bugged me something awful that Curly would treat her like that.

"I'm alright, I swear. Stop worryin' so much."

authors note:
another day another short chapter, sorry y'all i've devoted too much of my time to watching jiara edits on instagram