3

I woke up to a dark room and noises down the hall. It was almost midday in North Carolina, which meant it was the middle of the night here. This time difference will be the death of me. Yesterday, Mali and I mainly talked about my old life and what America was like before we went out to get something to eat.

I decided on grabbing a large metal stick out of the closet before checking out the noise down the hall- just in case. I slowly creaked open the door and peeked out. I didn't see anyone so I stepped out, feeling strangely exposed. I turned around to face the long hallway before seeing the flash of a leg disappear behind the corner. I tightened my grip on my makeshift weapon and took cautious steps. I heard footsteps lightly tapping around the corner and quickly turned it, coming face to face with Calum.

"Oh thank god." I breathed as I quickly dropped the stick to the ground and hugged him. I released after realization of what I was doing hit me. He looked at me in shock and confusion and down to the stick on the floor.
"American thing?" He asked monotonously.
"No... Uh.... I uh. Nevermind." I said placing the stick against the wall. "Why are you up anyways? It's the middle of the night." I asked him.
"I should say the same to you." He said walking away.
"I can't get used to the time change. Your turn." I challenged as I followed him to the kitchen.
"I can't sleep." He lied obviously.
"What's the real reason?" I said not fooled by his lie. He looked me in the eye and sighed before walking towards the back door and grabbing his shoes. I didn't notice that he was fully dressed in black jeans and a T-shirt. It just seemed natural on him. He grabbed the shoes I had left by the door and tossed them to me. I stared at him with a confused look plastered across my face. He half smirked back before stopping and pulling on his shoes.

"Um in case you didn't notice it's the middle of the night." I said crossing my arms.
"I noticed. That's what makes it perfect. Now put your shoes on and don't fuss." He said holding the door open and motioning towards the car.

I debated whether or not to just go back upstairs and wait out the morning miserably or go with him. I chose the obvious one. I sighed and looked at my outfit. Leggings, a big T-shirt of Zach's, and converse. Ok it could be worse.

I walked through the door and got into the car. It was a black Jeep and had a little surfboard hanging from the mirror. It still felt weird sitting on the other side, but I'll adjust. I pulled on my shoes and sat back. He kept his eyes on the road and turned on the radio. Teenagers by My Chemical Romance was on and he was humming along.

"My Chemical Romance huh?" I asked glancing over at him. He smiled and turned up the music. The lights of the town began to fade out as we got further and further away.

We had been driving for a while and I was getting worried.
"Where are we going?" I asked looking out the window.
"Right here." He said pulling into an empty parking lot in the middle of a forest preserve.
"So you mean to tell me we drove all this way for trees in the middle of the night?" I asked with a sigh.
"Yep." He said getting out of the car. I got out after him and he wasn't stopping to wait for me. I would've believed you if you said he only brought me her to kill me and get back to his normal life.

He began to walk down a trail and I could hear all of the sounds of nature. Every cricket and bird seemed to be out as well as the insects. I could feel myself getting bitten up and I wasn't having as much fun as I thought. He turned quickly and walked down to a stream. It was very pretty in the middle of the night with light shimmery bits reflecting the sky and rocks peeking up out of the water creating ripples.

We walked along the edge of the stream, careful not to get our shoes wet. He turned at a small hill and walked up leading to a bridge that was built over the stream. Well this is it. He's going to drown me. I knew we were coming here for him to kill me. I can still run. I was about to yell and turn around before he started talking.

"Sit." He ordered. I complied and sat down on the bridge, hanging my feet down. We weren't very high up, with my feet only being about a foot away from the water, although I could tell that the water was deeper here. Probably about 4 feet. I stared into the water and back to Calum who was sitting next to me, his long legs almost touching the water.
"I'm not sure why I made you come here I just like it and I normally don't bring anyone. I still don't like you." He said sternly. Oh trust me I believe you.
"Yeah it's... Nice." I said smacking away insects and relaxing my shoulders. The sun was starting to come up and we had nothing to do. We hadn't talked much and I was bored to death and still annoyed by insects and how rude Calum had been this whole time about not really wanting me here. He was so strange to me. He seemed to like my company, but detest it at the same time. I was spending time with him, but we weren't talking and I still didn't feel welcomed.

After about a half an hour, Calum started to stand and walk towards the edge of the bridge. I stood up too and started to walk after him. I felt my foot glide over something slippery and disgusting and my body start to fall backwards. I flailed my arms and screeched out for Calum but just as he turned around, my balance have way and I plummeted off the bridge. The icy water hit me and I was instantly engulfed by the chill and murky water of the stream. I heard muffled words from above my and saw a hand reaching down into the water. and I gripped onto the hand and sturdied myself with it as my head submerged from the dirty water and I found the bottom. I took in a breath and began to walk towards the land.

Calum was trying his hardest not to laugh and was walking behind me. I turned around with a smile and his face instantly dropped.

"I just realized that you never hugged me back in the hallway. You can make up for that you know." I said just before running after him and struggling him to the ground. He landed in the mud and had water from my attack on his shirt. He let out a laugh and started to stand back up.

"Very funny, Camille." He said brushing off the mud. I smiled at my work and turned around, only to feel a slimy ball of mud hit my back. I pursed my lips and bent down grabbing a bigger chunk of mud and throwing it, hitting him square in the face. He brushed it off and ran over to me, with his muddy shirt and hugged me.

"There's your hug, bitch." He said loudly. I was furious, seeing as this was my only shirt of Zach's and decided on giving up before it got worse.

"Ok. That's enough." I said sternly.

He laughed before putting back on his stale face and going back to the Calum I knew before. Great. He led me back to the car before reaching in and grabbing towels. I sat angrily in the front seat, not excited for the long uncomfortable car ride. I honestly don't know whether or not he likes this whole "twin thing".

We got back to the house at 8 in the morning. We left at 3 am and the drive was an hour and a half. We stayed for two hours and came back to an angry mother and shocked Mali.

"Where were you? I was so worried. Don't do that again especially not with Camille. She doesn't need your shenanigans! You both are covered in mud! What do you think you're doing?" She yelled at Calum.

I felt horrible, since I was the reason we were so filthy. I also need Calum to trust me. He's my brother after all.

"Actually it was my fault too. I'm really sorry I couldn't sleep because of the time difference and I needed to do something or I'd be bored out of my mind." I lied.

"Oh. Well don't let this happen again you two. I'm glad you're ok." She said turning back to breakfast and stirring the pancake mix. I walked up the stairs to my bathroom and showered before going back to my room. Mali was waiting by my door.

"Camille's a rebel!" She whooped. "Forest?" She asked.
"Yeah." I replied cautiously.
"Wow. He only takes people he trusts. I didn't go until last year. He normally goes there to lighten up or rant and sometimes be alone. I hope you two are gonna be good friends." She said tapping my shoulder and walking away.

I hope so too.