Chapter 42

You jump up, hearing the scream tear through the mostly comforting background, grabbing your knife and preparing to run. You listen for a few moments, anticipating a second scream to follow.

"Please, tell me she didnt find me." You mutter to yourself, listening carefully. A few moments pass.

Silence

You know it came from the school, and if it were Sally, you likely would have heard another one, signaling she was blinking. You sit down and begin to think carefully.

"Not following instructions is part of the reason that I'm here right now, and that Sally currently wants me dead. Now Amanda gave me a direction. Is it really worth following it? I'm sure she has my best interest at heart..." you say out loud.

You look up at the school. You could just walk right in if you wanted to. It's not Sally, but it sounded female. Chances are that it may be another survivor in there. You grip your knife harder, as time almost seems to slow down. "Do I put my own life at risk to possibly save or help someone? Or do I just stay where I am and be safe." You ask yourself. You shut your eyes for a moment, and hold your head in your hands, going over possible scenarios in your head. After taking a deep breath, you grab your medkit, and carefully slide your knife in your pocket, making sure it's easy to grab. You bravely walk into the school, listening as carefully as you can. You hear footsteps running above you, followed by a loud metallic screeching sound, almost like scraping a fork and a plate together. You quickly look for a flight of stairs to run to, so you can get a better look. Spoting some stairs at the other end of the hallway, you begin to run as fast as you can, without exerting yourself, to see what's going on. Once you run up the stairs, you see a large man with what looks like a huge metal pyramid on his head, carrying a large blade. Your unable to see who hes chasing, but you spot blood on his knife along with fresh blood pools leading in his direction. You begin to quietly jog, making sure you stay out of sight. You hear him dig his blade into the ground, followed by a large crashing sound. Shortly afterwards, you hear a loud female scream, and a loud thud. You get close, and watch as the large man bends down to grab his prey. You see a female get hoisted up, and begin squirming for life. You lock eyes with her, as she begins to panic. You run as fast as you can, and reach for your knife, plunging it in the back of his knee, as hard as you can. The man drops the lady, and falls to his knees, as you rip the blade out. The lady, obviously hurt, grabs your wrist and begins running away. The larger man, realizing what happened, gets on his feet, and begins to chase you and the female.

"What are you doing here?" You say between breaths, as your running.

"Shut up, we can talk later." The woman says harshly.

You hear the man dig his blade into the ground, dragging it across the ground. Moments later, rebar and some unworldly goo rip through the cold ground, digging deeply into your legs and feet.

"What the fuck?!?" You yell, half out of confusion, half out of pain.

You try and run into a classroom, hoping to find somthing to help you like a pallet or a window to jump through, but you see nothing. You look to the side to see a doorway, but its boarded up with some plywood. Realizing you are now trapped inside with a female, and a giant man with a metal pyramid on his head, you prepare to fight back. You grip you knife, hoping for the best, but the giant man grabs the arm that's holding the knife, and bangs it against a wall, making you drop the knife. You try to swing at his helmet, but to no avail. You realize, the damn thing is made of metal, and you just punched it as hard as you could. You think you may have broken your fist. The man drops his large blade, and uses his other hand to grab your throat. You begin banging on his shoulders, as the girl tries to RIP his arms away from you. You see black mist rolling in. You know it cant be you, and knowing your luck, its probably going to be the female trying to help you. The female grabs the knife on the ground, and drives it deep into the giant mans arm, stunning him for a second, and making him lose his grip. You fall to the ground, as the man grabs his blads. The mist begins to surround him, as he raises it up, and brings the blade down on you. You raise your arm in an attempt to save yourself, and you close your eyes, bracing yourself for impact...

Only that the impact never comes.

You open your eyes, and look up at the girl. She give you a hand up, and hands you back the knife.

"We are equal now." She says.

You shrug. "Sounds fair. I have a small camp near here. Let me take you." You offer kindly. She thinks for a moment, but follows you. You leave the school and go back to your camp, with the girl. The fire is still going, as you sit down next to it and grab some medical supplies. You look over and see she could use a bit of medical attention as well. You offer her some bandages and peroxide, and she begins to tend to her wounds. You sit in silence, knowing that you have a little more then 2 hours till your next trial.

"My name is (Y/N), what's yours?" You ask to try and start conversation.

She replies "My name is Cheryl Mason."

A/N
Sorry for the long break, I needed some time to myself, and I'm still swimming in work, and in school. I'm still alive, and haven't died (Yet) so I may as well get back to writing. Thanks for putting up with me lol.