Bragging and Surprise

Colton's POV

I finally get home, getting out of my car and heading towards the stairs. I catch sight of Ben's car and nod to myself when I see what they're already home. He looked anxious when he came in today to get Maggie and he doesn't need to be out on the road.

I snort to myself as my thoughts, shaking my head when I realize how invested I already am with the man and all he's ever done is shoot me down and tell me thank you.

I'm starting to think that's I'm willingly forming attachments with anyone that shows me the bare minimum of attention.

And at the moment I'm okay with that.

I walk upstairs to the last floor and walk past Ben's door towards my own, unlocking it before I head inside only to be met with the smell of cooking.

I walk down the hall into the open kitchen and living room and of course come across Emma cooking and dancing in my kitchen.

"Emelia, what the hell are you doing?" I ask and she jumps before turning around.

"Don't fucking scare a black woman like that. I'll cut your dick off you sneaky bastard." She threatens as she goes to take out the headphones in her ear that would explain her dancing.

"See, you wouldn't be scared if you were at your house. This is mine. Go away." I try to tell her and she places her hands in her slim hips cocking her head to the side to challenge me making me groan internally.

"Fuck you. I'm hungry. Plus you're late anyway." She scolds me and I shake my head.

"You need to find your Mate so you'll stop treating me like you're my house wife. And Ben was late picking up Maggie." I tell her as I move to walk past her towards my room, and of course I hear her small nosey ass follow me as I do.

"Is he okay? Didn't you say he is never late?" She asks as I take off my tie and begin to unbutton my shirt as I walk towards my room.

"He seemed stressed when he came in. I think something has happened to him in the past that makes him worry so much." I tell her, frowning as I open my closet door creating a barrier between Emma and I.

"Well something doesn't have to happen for you to be stressed or paranoid." She answers and I hun.

"Yes, but when I saw him at open house when I mentioned him having a Soulmate or co-parents he flinched away as if I hit him. I would bet a lot of money that he's been through a lot," I tell her and there's a bit of silver as I take off my pants and through them in the hamper next to the closet.

"Thats true. Well, why do you want to be with him then?" She asks as I finish getting dressed and close the door to see her again and I cross my arms over my chest as I raise my brown at her.

"Because I want to get to know more about him. I'm not going to just lose interest because he's been through something. Besides. Everyone deserves a second chance.." I say and she avoids my eyes after that. I lead us back towards the kitchen and Emma stirs whatever is in the pot.

While she continues to cook, I grab my work back and set it on the table, pulling out the paper work and lesson plans I have to do and spread it out.

"Oh and guess what?" I ask Emma. I know it's stupid, but the thought of it still makes me smile with hope because even if it's only a little, progress is still progress.

"You fucked a peanut butter jar." She guedes and I laugh.

"Once in seventh grade to see what the memes were about. But no that's not it." I tell her as I begin checking off things and she begins dying laughing at my response, the both of us too easily amused.

"Okay, what, then?" She asks and I smile to myself as I think about it once more even if I do seem crazy.

"He told me thanks today when he picked Maggie up." I tell her and though I expect for her to make a joke about how earlier impressed I am, her reaction makes me remember why the two of us are such great friends.

"Well smack my ass and call me a dirty little whore. I guess you're making progress after all." She tells me with a smile, a real one, and it makes me smile to myself even though it wouldn't seem that big of a deal to anyone else.

"Maybe." I agree and the both of us both go to our respective activities. About five minutes later I jump from surprise when I hear a knock on the door.

"Did you order soemthing?" Emma accuses me and I glare at her.

"If I did, it would be better than your cooking. Stop coming over to my house. Go find you a Mate or something." I tell her and she flicks her middle finger at me as I walk towards the door. Not bothering with the peep hole, I unlock the door and open it, only for my heart to stumble out of my chest and on to the floor.

"Ben." I greet, the word so quiet it almost sounds like a prayer.

"Uh." He starts, looking away from me as if embarrassed. "I wanted to say thank you for today, again. And also... sorry for being a dick head and an asshole." He says stiffly and I can't help but chuckle making his ears turn red and his frown deepen.

"I don't think you're really sorry." I tell him and he shrugs as if there's nothing that he can do about that at all.

"Oh well." He says but before he goes I stop him, knowing that this may be my only chance.

"I know how you can make it up to me, though." I tell him, hoping that he doesn't shoot me down again. I know that if I can get one date with him, then he'll see that I'm not so bad. Highly doubtful but I'm holding out on that luck.

"What?" He asks, clearly suspicious which I don't blame him for. I lean in my door as my hand holds it by the handle to make sure I don't fall and embarrass myself more than I probably already have.

"Let's go out for lunch. Just you and me. And Maggie, she can come too." I tell him, knowing that having Maggie there and making sure she has someone to be with her is probably really important to him. I doubt he trusts just anyone to take care of his kid either.

"I don't -" Before he can finish I give him my best smile and puppy dog eyes at once, hoping beyond hope that he'll just take my offer.

"Just one lunch. I'll stop after that." I tell him, even if the prospect of giving up seems sad and like something I don't want to do. And I'm going after lunch he won't want to either.

He looks at me for a few minutes before he scoffs and turns to walk away and just as I'm about to give up and shut the door, I hear his voice. "Friday after school, we'll make it dinner, my place, your treat."

I turn around to say thank you or to agree but before any word can come out of my mouth, the sound of his door next door closing reaches my ears and even though he was still being the asshole he was apologizing about, I wouldn't have it any other way as I close the door with a smile.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Okay i have nine chapters left to do for this page and also remember that I'm supposed to write "Elliot gets jealous" today. I will post the first round of updates around like 8(?) or so and then the others will be up around like 1 or 2 am. Hopefully.

Thoughts?

Comments?

QOTD: Jeans or leggings?