sleet

Blowing a tuft of inky hair out of my hooded eyes as the strands caught in my mascara laden lashes, I gazed out into the crowded halls, sighing in relief as I spotted familiar friendly faces.

I was usually shy and reserved, held back from the rest of the student body especially before Holden had become my boyfriend, but after that relationship and subsequent breakup, I had grown bolder, mainly due to Lachlan's personal vendetta against me and my friends.

I had been close with more girls than just Vera before I left but she was my only best friend, and the other girls had fallen out of touch with me after I moved. I passed a few of them on my way to Vera and her girlfriend and they gave me a few friendly nods, but there was no trace of our old camaraderie and united front that we'd put in place when Lachlan and his friends, mainly Taylor, would tease us all.

Since I was sitting at the 'popular' table once more, however, I could tell the interest was piqued with every member of the student body.

The dull droning chatter of gossip fluttered past topic after topic and I was on the main menu, as I heard my name being whispered multiple times as I walked past crowds of students.

Bayfield was notorious for having less than kind students, as the majority of the kids were all from ridiculously wealthy families and had been spoon fed privilege their entire lives.

I wasn't picked on because of my adopted status until Lachlan, however, which proved they had some decency, and proved that Lachlan had none.

"Hey girly," Vera began as I joined her at her locker, the ancient wooden cubicles remnants of the history the school exuded.

"Hey, I'm sorry about your sister, everyone's been talking about it today," Blythe added.  Of course it was the talk of the school, because apparently in my absence, Vera and Jenna had somehow become Queen bees of the school, and I had just kicked the hive.

"It's fine, really. I shouldn't have gone after her like that in public."

"Yeah, and it doesn't help that Lachlan overheard everything. He was the main fuel for the rumors."

My eyes narrowed of their own accord at Vera's words as I took in my surroundings, mainly the alteration of our school uniform to fit her style.

Usually a green, black and white checkered skirt, a crisp white button up linen shirt, and knee high socks or stockings with black shoes, our uniform suited most girls, but not Vera.

A green mini scarf was tied around her neck, most likely to hide a hickey, and her shirt was unbuttoned a few inches to display her black criss crossed tank top straps across her chest. Her skirt was about an inch above dress code, and her feet were donned in black stiletto booties, sans stockings or knee high socks.

The handbook didn't say what kind of black shoes, so long as they weren't open toed...

"Well, it is what it is. I knew coming back would subject me to seeing him again. Sorry, Blythe, I know he's your brother..."

She dismissed me with a wave of her hand, her long blonde spiral curls bouncing around her face as she did so.

"Don't even worry about it. The two of us are completely on the 'hating Lachlan' train, and would be honored if you'd join us on it."

We shared a laugh and I suddenly became self conscious of my outfit while looking over the two dazzling beauties in front of me.

I was dressed more traditionally as I didn't feel like being reprimanded on my first day back, the knee high black socks brushing the tips of my thighs and my feet comfortably resting in my black combat boots. My buttons were undone almost to Vera's length only hinting at the small crest of cleavage that swelled beneath the collar and I tugged my skirt a bit higher as I noticed I was the only one with it almost to my knee socks.