Chapter 60: Mastery

On the eve of their nineteenth birthday, before the clock strikes midnight, the turtles gather in the dojo as students for the final time.

Splinter stands beneath the tree, hands folded over his emerald staff. Despite the late hour, Destiny, Sarina, April, Casey, Taylor, and Annalise observe from the sidelines. The turtles wait their turn. Each of them wears black belts and black wrappings around their hands and feet.

One by one, the turtles come forward to demonstrate their skills as individuals. Each brother moves with purpose, their bodies strong yet graceful, powerful. As each one finishes their demonstration, they take their place at the other side of the dojo, kneeling as they await their next turn.

As Michelangelo lands his final backflip, nunchucks aimed, Splinter motions for him and his brothers to kneel before him. Leonardo, Raphael, and Donatello rise to their feet, joining their youngest brother on the mat.

Splinter reaches for the first of four sleek boxes and sets it before him.

"Leonardo."

Leonardo bows forward as Splinter opens the box, revealing a new set of katanas: black handles with a guard shaped like the crest of the Hamato clan. Leonardo's hands flex against the floor, visibly biting back the smile growing behind his eyes.

"The katana is a noble blade with a rich history. These ones have been in the Hamato clan for generations. Many leaders have wielded them and now, you shall join them."

Leonardo tenderly removes the first blade from the box. They're slimmer than the ones he's grown accustomed to, beautiful in their simplicity but no less deadly, and he pops it from its sheath to let the metal glint in the light.

"Arigatou gozaimasu," Leonardo says with another low bow.

"Return to your brothers a master."

He does so. Splinter reaches for the second box.

"Raphael."

Raphael takes his place, bowing deeply, and Splinter reveals a new pair of sai, the handles wrapped in the same black material as Leonardo's katanas. There's a small etching of the Hamato crest at the base.

"The sai is a defensive weapon, built for those unafraid to get in close, to protect their comrades," Splinter says. "Raphael, you are a protector, and I know these weapons will serve you well."

"Arigatou gozaimasu," Raphael murmurs, taking the sai from their box.

"Return to your brothers a master."

Raphael returns. Splinter brings forth the third.

"Donatello."

Donatello moves forward, bowing, and Splinter reveals a small cylinder of black metal emblazoned with a silver Hamato crest, about half the size of a regular bō. For a second, confusion passes Donatello's face, but Splinter nods and motions to the box.

"The bō is only as strong and clever as its user," Splinter says. A tiny smile breaks through his professional mask. "But this one has a slight upgrade, fitting for someone of your skills."

"Arigatou gozaimasu," Donatello says.

He takes the cylinder from the box and stands. At the smallest command from his grip, the cylinder extends, revealing a wooden staff reinforced with stripes of black metal throughout. Donatello spins it once, eyes wide, and shifts his thumb. A naginata blade pops from one end, sleek and sharp as it points to the ceiling.

"Woah...awesome," Donatello says softly as a grin spreads across his face.

"Return to your brothers a master."