Salazar

"How long will you be gone?" Salazar asked his best friend, Godric, who was holding a bag in his left hand and a wand in his right.

"Just for the school year, but I'll be back every holiday," Godric responded, "it won't be so bad, I promise! I'll make sure to teach you everything I learn, and then when I get back we can use them on those town boys."

The two of them laughed together, but underneath, Salazar's heart ached.

Godric was going to a magical school and leaving him behind. He'd begged his parents to let him go as well, but they refused.

They thought it best for him to learn at home, so his education wouldn't be "watered down".

The Slytherin family had always valued the dark arts and passed down ancient secrets throughout their generations.

"Don't forget me, or come back a muggle lover like the other lunatics who went off to school." Salazar tried to fake a smile, but it was nearly impossible.

"Me? Never! You know my family believes we need to keep magic and muggles separate."

"Godric! It's time to leave, or we'll miss the train!" Mrs. Gryffindor shouted to the boys.

"I guess this is goodbye, then?" Godric said, as he reached to shake Salazar's hand, but with a sudden movement he pulled him into a hug instead.

That was something that wasn't normal for the boys, but Salazar appreciated it. He'd wanted to and was glad Godric had the bravery to do so.

"I'll see you soon, don't forget about me!" He shouted out to the carriage that was quickly disappearing down the road.

On the trek back home to his family's estate, Salazar's head hung low. He reached the perfectly polished dark gates and followed the rocky path that was surrounded by a well-kept lawn.

The Slytherin's home was perfect, not one thing was out of place, but it was lonely and quiet, which was why Salazar preferred to be at the Gryffindor's home.

It was smaller, always a mess, but it felt like home. He always knew that when he was there, nothing could touch him. It made him understand why Godric was so fearless.

Salazar didn't come from the hollow, so he never would be as brave, as strong, or as noble. Instead, he would just be Salazar, angry and stubborn.

"Salazar, is that you?" A voice called, echoing through stone halls.

A young woman silently stepped through the doorway, she shared Salazar's dark hair, but hers was long and clean, as well as his striking green eyes and pale skin.

"Yes, it's me, mother." He replied, his voice was tired and unenthusiastic.

"Why so down, darling, is this about Godric?"

She laid down on the sofa near her son, who stood looking out the window.

"It's true he left, but there's nothing I can do to change that."

"I truly am sorry, dear, but look at this as an opportunity to spend some time on your studies instead of constantly running off with that boy." His mother held no sympathy in her voice.

"He was my friend," Salazar replied calmly.

"I know, but the Gryffindors have begun to drift from the old ways, and we can't have people saying we're associating with muggle lovers."

"Is all you care about, your reputation?" Salazar turned to face his mother, anger was written in his expression, "They're the same as us! Why does magic make us any better than them?"

Mrs. Slytherin gasped, while Salazar let out a deep breath and rushed from the room.