Rowena

"This is it!" Helga told Rowena, who stood facing herself in the mirror.

Rowena barely remembered what she had looked like when first looking in this mirror all those years ago. Her skin most likely tinted with youth, eagerness, and curiosity. Not much had changed, she thought while looking out into the deep blue eyes of the dark-haired girl.

"I can't believe we're graduating!" Helga's honey eyes glowed as she appeared behind Rowena's reflection.

"You're my dearest friend Helga!" Rowena said, turning to face her, "You and me forever?"

Helga grabbed Rowena's hands and squeezed them, "Always." She whispered back.

The girls graduated in a whirl of excitement and tears before returning to their homes full of promises to write during the summer.

Rowena stepped through her home's long and cold hallways, tenderly. She had lived there her whole life, but now she was back for good, and suddenly aware of the months she'd missed.
What had changed since she'd been gone?

"Rowena!" A man yelled, she turned to face her father. He spent most of his time locked away in an office, and Rowena was pretty sure it was because of how she reminded him of her late mother.

"Father! How I've missed you!" She called, running into his arms.

"I'm glad to have you back for good." He said gently. Rowena's face beamed; that meant a lot coming from him.

"You're so grown," He continued, "Only last summer, you were this tall." He motioned his hand to the height of a child who might be about 6.

Rowena laughed, "Father! Only last summer, I was 17 and most certainly taller than that."

Her father held out his arm for Rowena to grab, "Come on, let us catch up." They walked away together, closer than ever.