Rowena

"Goodbye, father," Rowena told him as she stood in the doorway of his study.
He glanced up from the pile of parchment that sat on his desk, his glasses sat low on his nose, causing him to have to squint his eyes when he looked over.
"Oh yes, it is that time, isn't it. Well, uh, um goodbye then, Rowena."
The air around the two of them felt awkward, and as soon as he nodded his head towards her, Rowena quickly left the room.
"The carriage is waiting for you outside." A maid told the girl, and she hurried down the many staircases and out into the grey morning light.
The horses stomped their feet impatiently, waiting for Rowena to climb in. She was to leave for a witches boarding school that the women in her family had all attended.
Rowena wasn't upset because anything would be better than sitting around and wasting away in this big home. She had already read more than half the books in the library, and was desperate to learn something new.

The carriage dropped her off at the large stone steps that led into a dark castle.
Standing at the bottom of them, she stared up at the large building, then with a deep breath, she crossed the threshold into the front hall.

"You must be  Miss. Ravenclaw." A voice called from inside a room.
Rowena turned to see an older woman stepping towards her, "I went to school with your aunt, Lavina Carrow, I believe it is now." Rowena hadn't seen her aunt in years but knew she'd attended this school along with her mother.
"Oh, yes, and who are you?" The lady chuckled to herself, "I am Headmistress Raine."
Rowena gasped, in all the books she'd read, the headmasters or mistresses were all old and evil people, but Headmistress Raine seemed kind.

"Let me get your things to your room before I give you a tour around the grounds." With a flick of her  wand, Rowena's bag disappeared into thin air, "Are you ready?" Headmistress Raine asked.
"How did you do that?" Rowena questioned, following after her.
"It is quite easy, you will learn during your classes."
They walked through the halls, peering into classrooms that were full of other girls practicing magic.
The tour ended with the library, a large room with shelves up to the ceiling that were full of books.
"Here at Carlyle Academy, we encourage open minds and the learning of a wide variety of studies. It is about broadening your point of view and being more open to strange ideas you never thought possible. Your studies begin tomorrow morning, and supper is at 6 pm sharp, don't be late." At that Headmistress Raine, disappeared into thin air, and Rowena was left, standing alone at the entrance to the library.

After dinner, Rowena was walking alone in the garden. It was after hours, and she would most certainly get in trouble if caught, so she stayed quiet.
When she came across a patch with a mound of fresh dirt, Rowena crouched down to look behind the large bush, and she saw a young girl with long blondish hair sprinkling seeds into a hole.
"Psst!" Rowena whispered, and the girl looked up, shocked.
"What are you doing?" Rowena whispered again.
The girl saw her and relaxed, "I thought you were a teacher!" She laughed; quietly, "I'm planting flowers. Would you like to join me?"

Rowena nodded in reply and squeezed through the bushes, "I'm Rowena Ravenclaw." She said, sticking out her hand.
"I'm Helga, Helga Hufflepuff." The other girl said, shaking Rowena's hand.