Blue cherry blossoms

Ren picked up her bag from the club room, opened the door and walked out. She was beaming with joy. She was excited to learn how to do a jump serve from Oikawa. Maybe she just wanted to see Oikawa though. He was Aoba Johsai’s resident pretty boy after all. 

She walked out into the cool night, her sports jacket clinging to her body. It was still. She stared up at the sky the stars glistening in the dark night. May was Ren’s favourite month. It was warm and spring was so colourful. Her birthday was in May too, the fifteenth. She began walking towards the gym where the boy’s volleyball team practiced. It was kind of far but Ren didn’t mind. She enjoyed the cool night and admired it as she walked. 

Finally reaching the boy’s gym she took a deep breath then slid the door open. 

“Hello? Oikawa-san are you still here?” The small girl asked peering her head into the gym. 

“Oh Sakura-chan, yea it’s just me in here. You can come in.” He said walking over so he could see her head peering through the doors. He smiled at her, that same smile he gave to all his fangirls. 

“Thank you for having me,” Ren said bowing her head. She walked in looking around the gym. It was bigger than the one she used but looked pretty similar. Unzipping her jacket and taking it off she placed it on a nearby bench then began to warm up. She did a few stretches then reached for her bag. She pulled out her knee pads and a wrist brace. Putting them on, she then stood up to face Oikawa who had just been setting to himself. She stared at him awkwardly hoping he would say something so she didn’t have to. No luck he just kept setting to himself. “Oikawa-san…” She stared as she was thinking of what to say next.

“Oh are you all warmed up?” He asked stopping what he was doing to look at the small girl. 

“yea .” She said a little coldly, not entirely meaning to sound that way. 

“Alright, come over here,” Oikawa said his face was serious and he gestured for her to come to where he was standing. 

She walked over and their lesson began. Oikawa told her about how to properly do a jump serve. He showed her how to do each step. Ren listened intuitively, taking in everything. 

“You get all that?” He asked, smiling a bit at her. 

“Yea I did.” She said smiling genuinely for the first time of the night. 

“I’ll do one now to show you. You might want to move out of the way.” He said, chuckling a bit. 

She moved out of the way and waited for him to do a jump serve. He threw the ball up with one arm then began running, lunged then jumped up. He hit the ball, hard. It flew across the court making a loud smash when it hit the ground. It was out. She gazed at him her eyes lit up. It was amazing. 

Oikawa stared at the small girl sitting on the bench facing him. Her blue eyes wide and sparkling in awe. There was something about her, he thought. She acts so cold like she has a wall of ice around her. But inside she’s softer than she wants anyone to know. She’s like a blue cherry blossom. Cold on the outside but soft and pastel on the inside. 

Ren stood up abruptly and ran over Oikawa. “Can I try?” She asked eager wanting to try the serve the amazing setter had displayed before her. 

He nodded using that same fangirl smile of his. 

Ren picked up the ball he had used. Walked to the other side of the net then stared at the ball in her hands. She was nervous but she wasn’t going to let Oikawa know that. He probably could tell though, despite her trying to hide it. She took a deep breath, then threw the ball up in the air. She hesitated for a second then ran up, lunging forward then jumping into the air her arms raised. She did it just the same as he had. The only difference was that she couldn’t jump nearly as high as he could. Then she hit the ball as hard as she could. She closed her eyes scared to see what would happen but she didn’t hear it hit the ground. Instead, it hit the net then hit her right in the face. She fell backward onto the hard gym floor.