Rumers

It was a warm morning and the trees gently rustled and swayed in the wind. Ren Sakura walked to school in the warm May morning, her blond hair blowing in the wind as she walked. Yesterday she had her practice with Oikawa. She still couldn’t believe that Oikawa had walked back with her. Her cheeks flushed at the thought and she clenched her school bag tightly spinning around a bit. She was grinning ear to ear. She was so happy. 

As she approached the school she remembered Oikawa’s offer to walk to school together. “...damn I should have said yes…” She said to herself remembering that she declined the tall boy’s offer. 

“Said yes to what?” A voice said from behind her. 

“AH!!” Ren yelled surprised that someone heard her. People looked over at the girl who had just screamed confused as to why someone had yelled. Ren pushed her hand on her forehead, shutting her eyes cringing that she had screamed. She didn’t like the extra attention. She finally looked up to see who had answered her. It was none other than Mitsuki. “Jeez, you scared me! I thought you were Oikawa.” She said. 

“Hahaha! Did you really?” Mitsuki laughed smiling widely at Ren. “What should you have said yes to though?” She asked putting her hands behind her back and leaning towards Ren. 

“Uh..well. I had my serving practice with Oikawa yesterday and we ended up walking home together. And at the end, he said: “ Sakura-chan you should walk with me in the mornings! Then you’ll get to see my cute face more!” But I declined” Ren said her hand rubbing her neck as she looked at the ground to the left of her. 

“Did he really? I can’t believe you declined!” Mitsuki said. Ren smiled nervously then shrugged. The two girls then made their way to class. As they entered the school they noticed students mostly girls staring and whispering as they passed. Ren suddenly felt really uncomfortable and just wanted to be anywhere else than where she was right now. Mitsuki noticed this and nudged Ren asking with her eyes if she was okay. Ren shook her head and Mitsuki grabbed her arm and pulled her to the washroom. 

“I’ll check this out you stay here,” Mitsuki said leaving the room. Ren nodded and leaned up against a wall. She had no idea what to do next. 

After a few minutes, Mitsuki came back in. “I think I figured it out. Apparently, someone saw you in the gym alone with Oikawa and spread a rumor about it.” Mitsuki said her face and voice serious. 

“Damn it. I guess I’ll try to ignore it.” Ren said. Mitsuki nodded and they both headed back to their class. 

The bell rang echoing through the halls letting the students know that class had ended. Ren stood up, grabbed her bag, and rushed toward the door sliding it open. She rushed out wasting no time at all. People stared at the girl whispering about how she had practiced with the “Oikawa” alone the night before. She paid no attention to them though. She had more important things to do. 

She slid open the door to a class and said “Oikawa!” Despite rushing over to the tall boy’s class the short girl stood there unphased and hadn’t even broken a sweat. 

The tall boy with brown hair and eyes whipped his head around to look at Ren. Iwa, who was sitting across from Oikawa eating his lunch, also turned his head to look at her along with the rest of the class.  

“I need to talk to you.” She said closing the door and walking over to him. 

“Wow! Sakura-chan has come to see me during lunch!” He said doing that same fangirl smile of his. 

Ren pulled up a chair to the desk beside where they were eating and sat down. “People are spreading a rumor about me,” Ren said her voice serious. Iwa looked up at her, he figured this had something to do with his best friend. “Someone saw us last night and now people are talking about me…” She said looking down at her lap as her voice trailed off.